Mr. Furmanek's CP U.S. History covers the post industrialization era through modern day (approx. 1900 to the present). There is a heavy emphasis on paralleling our history to the issues and events of today. The class also participates in a civic engagement project that will require civic action within each specific marking period. The learning atmosphere has a strong emphasis on creating educated opinions / understandings of our history and current society, as well as taking an active role in the student's society& community.
Intro. / Review History
(Words, Symbols, Freedoms) - Aug. / Sept.
1. Ch. 1- 4 (p. 2-133)
2. Ch. 5-8 (p. 134-270)
3. Ch. 9-12 (p. 271-390)
4. Ch. 13-16 (p. 391-518)
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” Ben Franklin
Civic Engagement Project
Compose an email discussing the importance / impact of 'Tinker' on your schooling liberties. Why is this still so important today? How does this idea connect to topics we have been discussing in class as of late (words, symbols)? Supplement your thoughts with 1 piece of research (annotated).
Using the personal quiz code sent to you via email, take the Constitution Quiz challenge. I have you grouped against all 125 of my students, and tomorrow we can see how you rank!
American Industrial Era (Sept./Oct.)
Ch. 17-19 (p. 519-609) Due Wed. Sept. 24 (by 810am) a. Continue 'Word Associations' with what you read, and what you see.
** Have a collection of words that we can condense into concepts
b. Develop 3 'Enduring Understandings' (in which you annotate / explain)
** Your words become statements / questions / understandings that endure (enduring understandings)
- Example: Economic growth can create class division
- Which 'Commandment' encompasses the intent of this piece/statement the best for you? Explain your rationale.
- What is a 'successful' life? Summarize the author's idea, and then incorporate your own.
Which of the above 2 ideologies do you agree most with?
a. Support your thinking with 2 pieces of supplemental research that you feel help solidify your opinion (and in which you can offer to the class as a part of our thought process).
b. Find a political cartoon that you feel most encompasses your view on this matter (at this point). Explain (annotate) the cartoon toward your thinking.
Regulation: Marcellus Shale
PA Governor Vote: Ridge v. Wolf
- From the pledges given, which 'quote' reaches you the best (encompasses the intent of the pledge for you)?
- Using the above 2 articles, discuss positive/negative 'spillovers'.
- In a 2-person group, write a recommendation for India in regards to allowing Wal-mart 'in'. Explain your rationale and use specifics from the 2 texts as support.
Does Government Regulation really Kill Jobs? (Yang)
T. Roosevelt (Progressive Era / U.S. as a World Power) (November)
Ch. 20 (3 enduring understandings / annotated)
Ch. 21 (3 enduring understandings / annotated)
- Which 5 people / settings would you want to sit next to? Explain why their 'setting' impacted you and how it helped you define / connect to this movement. (3 modern / Wing Three, 1 from Wing Two, and 1 from Wing One)
** What would you bring to the 'table' to express modern society's continual segmentation / limitation / suppression (gender stereotypes / 'glass ceiling')? Where do you see this in today's society?
** Explain your choice and your rationale (as well as with a piece of research pertaining to it as a stereotype).
What is your reaction to this piece in regards to the attempts of 'The Dinner Party'?
How do you feel when you read it in regards to 'norms' of gender established in your personal history?
World Power leads to Involvement (WWI) - December
When and Why do we fight?
Ch. 22 'Enduring Understandings' .... Due 12/9
1920's/30s Causes and Realities of the Great Depression - January/Feb.
Ch. 23/24 'Enduring Understandings' (due Jan. 13)
With a partner, compare and contrast the statement and tone of each of these presidential addresses.
- Cut / paste aspects of Economy (pull out the references to economy). What 'feel' are they generating?
- Summarize each presidents definitive economic state.
- Which 2 proposals speak most toward your 'feel / want' in describing the 'State of the Union'.
- Discuss his proposed attempts in connection to your 'State of the Union'. Are they going to help?'Words'
- Which 2 facts did Obama blur the most for you? Offer a few comments in reaction.
WWII Era (Morality of War) - March
Ch. 25 (2 Enduring Understandings) - Due Monday 3/31 (5 pts)
Ch. 26/27 (3 Enduring Understandings) - Due Monday 3/31 (10 pts)
Civil Rights Era (April)
Civil Rights Readings (2 Enduring Understandings)
- pgs. 849-858, 864-868, 871-873, 885-888, 903-910
Ch. 28 Enduring Understandings (2 Enduring Understandings)(minus the Civil Rights sections already done)
'Prom Night in Miss.' reflection
Gender Inequality (Bringing Home less Bacon NYT 'Room for Debate')
'Two American Families' (Frontline)
Cold War/Vietnam Era (May)
Chapter 29 (2 Enduring Understandings with rationale)
Ch. 30 (2 Enduring Understandings with rationale)
a. Define ‘Americanization’ of war as described by Nixon.
b. Define ‘Vietnamization’ of war as described by Nixon, and give specifics of his plan.
c. Find 1 political cartoon from the Vietnam era that encompass Nixon’s objective within this agenda (explain the cartoon in your own words)
d. Find 1 political cartoon that critically evaluate Nixon’s attempts (and/or realities of Vietnamization) … explain as well.
e. Find 1 political cartoon that draws a comparison to 'Vietnam (ization) and any component of the
'war on terror' (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.)
As a 2 person group, compose an email that defines which 'debater' you most agree with (support with research that you annotate) AND which 'debater' you most disagree with (support with research that is annotated)
Concluding the Cold War / Modern Era (June)
Pick 2 of the final 3 assignments (due by Friday 6/6)
** Using this speech, conceptualize a Butter battle book page (based on the Reagan’s statement and intent) …. A Final page?
- A written paragraph explaining the concept (via email) is required (15 pts):
* Describe the the visualization of the page
- What would the stanza attempt to generate as the 'message' to the reader?
3. Using ‘Forrest Gump’, discuss how the film captures the atmosphere of the era (spanned in the film) by speaking to 3 resounding components of the film (and by adding 1 piece of research to each).
- 2011, the Library of Congress selected Forrest Gump for preservation in the United States National FilmRegistry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."