Mr. Furmanek's CP U.S. History covers the post industrialization era through modern day (approx. 1900 to the present). There is a heavy emphasis on paralleling our history to the issues and events of today. The class also participates in a civic engagement project that will require civic action within each specific marking period. The learning atmosphere has a strong emphasis on creating educated opinions / understandings of our history and current society, as well as taking an active role in the student's society& community.
Aug. / Sept. 2012
1. Ch. 1- 4 (p. 2-133)
2. Ch. 5-8 (p. 134-270)
3. Ch. 9-12 (p. 271-390)
4. Ch. 13-16 (p. 391-518)
Ch. 17-19 (p. 519-640)
* Due Monday 9/24
* 3 Enduring Understandings per chapter
Second Debate Assignment:
1. Compare / Contrast first two debates (format, atmosphere, personalities)
2. Who did you 'believe' more? Who won? Use Factcheck.org to legitimize your response.Third Presidential Debate:
1. Compare / Contrast this 3rd debate (format, atmosphere, personalities ..... differences from first 2).
2. Who did you 'believe' more? Who won? Use Factcheck.org to legitimize your response.
Ch. 20 (3 enduring understandings / annotated) .. due 10/29
Ch. 21 (3 enduring understandings / annotated) .. due 10/29
Ch. 22 'Enduring Understandings' (Due 11/20)
Ch. 23 & 24 (due 1/9)
Hooverville (extending to today) Research
Ch. 25 (Enduring Understandings ... due Wed. 2/20)
The Wave / 'A Class Divided'
Civil Rights Readings (3 Enduring Understandings)
- pgs. 849-858, 864-868, 871-873, 885-888, 903-910'Prom Night in Miss.' reflection
Gender Inequality (Bringing Home less Bacon NYT 'Room for Debate')
Ch. 26 & 28 Enduring Understandings (minus the Civil Rights sections already done)
Chapter 29 (3 Enduring Understandings with rationale ... due Monday 5/6)
a. Define ‘Americanization’ of war as described by Nixon.
b. Define ‘Vietnamization’ of war as described by Nixon, and givespecifics of his plan.
c. Find 2 political cartoons from the Vietnam era that encompass Nixon’sobjective within this agenda (explain the cartoon in your own words)
d. Find 2 political cartoons that critically evaluate Nixon’s attempts(and/or realities of Vietnamization) … explain as well.
Ch. 30 (3 Enduring Understandings with rationale ... due Tues. 5/28)
'Frost / Nixon' Reflection
Last Modified on Monday at 12:34 PM