College Preparatory Final Exam
1. Since the Civil War, which event had the most significant impact on US history?
Under each heading choose one issue and explainwhy you believe it is the most significant issue. Make connections.
2. The question I asked you on the first day of school was:
“Has the Civil War ended? Has the US lived up the ideals set forth in the Declaration of Independence and US Constitution?”
Well, has it? Explain.
3. In a sentence or two, what is the most important learning you will take away from this class?
Ø The original film ends in 1981 with the AIDS crisis just beginning.
Ø Since that time 31 years of history have occurred.
Ø Below is a short list of historical events
o Space shuttles and the Challenger disaster
o End of the Cold War
o Gulf War I
o US Government shutdown
o Impeachment of President Clinton
o Technology BOOM and BUST
o Election of 2000
o Afghanistan and Iraq wars
o The Great Recession and the banking, housing, and auto crisis
o Election of Barack Obama
o Iraq war ends
Ø In groups of up to 5
Ø Choose the 5 most significant events in the time from 1981 and 2012
Ø For each event:
o Explain why these events are the MOST SIGNIFICANT and how the selected events relate to past historical events
o Find a song that refers to the event
o Find a political cartoon. primary source document/s, or artistic representation of the event
o Present your events and one song to the class
1. What did you do well?
2. What did you NOT do well?
3. What was the most important thing you wanted the other students to know about your topic? Were you successful in making this happen? How do you know?
4. How did your topic “fit” in the 1950s – 1980s time frame?
5. Which presentation was most important in gaining a deeper understanding of the time period? Why?
6. Which presentation was the best? Why?
7. What grade do you deserve for your work on this project?
Forrest Gump Learning
“Every event in history is connected.”
Using this quote as a beginning point:
What did you learn about American History from the film, the presentations, and the discussions in class? Cite a minimum of 3 examples that show your understanding of American history in the 1950 - 1981 time frame.
Which reform from the Progressive Era had the most significant impact on contemporary America? Explain.
§ Child labor
§ Civil Rights
§ Workers rights
§ Immigration reform
§ City improvements
What is the relationship between the various reform movements?