SCASD Librarians Recommend
Reading Suggestions are available at each library website
Helping your student find "the right" book to read on their own
- When deciding what kind of book to read, choice reading is all about what interests the reader. So fiction, non-fiction, biography, graphic novels... whatever grabs a reader's attention is perfect.
- To find a book not too hard, not too easy, but just right, try the Five Finger Method. The student reads the first page. Each time they encounter a word they do not know, it is to be counted with a finger. If they get to five fingers at the end of the page or before the end of the page, then that book may be too difficult and they should consider another choice.
Need More Suggestions? Try one of these lists!
- Guys Read - Suggestions by Guys for Guys
- Kidsreads.com - Place on the web for kids to find info abouttheir favorite books, series and authors. Reviews of the newest titles,interviews with the coolest authors and special features on great books, triviagames, word scrambles and awesome contests!
- Reading Rockets - Recommended Books for Kids by theme