Visit us at the Transportation website: www.scasd.org/transportation
Date: 2012-13 School Year
To: Parent/Guardian and Student
From: Van Swauger, Director of Transportation
Subject: Transportation Guidelines
Theschool bus is an extension of the classroom. The conduct of students toand from school is an important part of the total school program. Westrive for a positive, safe beginning and ending for your child's day.
Maintaininggood order on school buses requires the cooperation of students,parents, bus drivers and building principals. The role of the busdriver is to be in complete charge of the bus and students. Because thedriver must give his total attention to driving, students must conductthemselves in a manner that will not distract the driver. Parents andbuilding principals contribute by reinforcing the importance of properbehavior.
Schoolbus rules are similar to those established for an effective classroom(i.e. be considerate of others, remain seated, don't push or throwobjects, and obey the driver). Because everyone's safety is affected,not following the rules may be cause for suspension of ridingprivileges.
Pleasetake a few minutes to review the rules listed below. Following theserules promotes a safe and positive atmosphere for your child'stransportation.
Any concern or question regarding the transportation operation shouldbe brought to the attention of the Transportation Office at 231-1033.
When Waiting for the School Bus in the Morning:
1. Arrive at your bus stop location at least 5 minutes before the scheduled stop time.
2. Wait for the bus in an area off of the main roadway, being respectful of others and of the property around the bus stop.
When Boarding the Bus:
1.Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop. The red flashing lightsand stop arm will be activated, and the door will open.
2. If you must cross the street, always cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
3. Board the bus, go directly to your assigned seat, and sit down.
While on the Bus:
1. The driver is in charge. Follow the driver's instructions at all times.
2. Students must remain seated.
3. Students may talk quietly. Shouting or profanity is not acceptable.
4.Items that can be safely held on your lap, without endangering thesafety and comfort of others, may be brought on the bus. No animals ofany kind are allowed on the bus.
5. Students must keep hands and head inside the bus windows.
6. Objects may not be thrown in or out of bus windows.
7. Do not damage the bus in any way.
When Exiting the Bus:
1. Students must remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
2. Check the area around your seat - pick up trash, take belongings with you.
3. Leave the bus in an orderly manner.
4. If you must cross the street, always cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus. Look both ways before crossing.
5. NEVER walk along the side or in back of the bus.
Last Modified on August 7, 2012