PIAA and the NIL Rules
Name, Image and Likeness. Students may receive consideration for the use of their own name, image and likeness (NIL). Such permissible activities include:
- commercial endorsements,
- promotional activities,
- social media presence,
- product or service advertisements,
- unique digital items/assets.
NIL contracts/agreements need to come from analysis of the value an athlete brings for providing a specific service/activity, not as an incentive for enrollment decisions or membership on a team.
NOTE: No school or anyone employed by or affiliated with a member school, including booster clubs, coaches, collectives, administrators and alumni, may solicit, arrange, negotiate or pay for a student’s, other than their own child, use of their NIL and/or the provision of consideration to a student for the use of their NIL.
In engaging in NIL activities, students MAY NOT:
- make any reference to PIAA or a PIAA member school (including the school and/or team name, nicknames, terms by which a school or team is commonly referred or identified, logo)
- wear school uniforms or school-identifying apparel or items
- endorse or promote any third-party entities, goods or services during team/school activities
- wear the apparel or display the logo, insignia, or identifying mark of an NIL partner during any team/school athletic activities, unless it is part of the standard school uniform for that sport
- engage in any NIL activities involving, displaying or endorsing the following categories of products and services:
- Adult entertainment products and services;
- Alcohol products;
- Casinos and gambling, including sports betting, the lottery, and betting in connection with video games, on-line games and mobile devices;
- Tobacco and electronic smoking products and devices;
- Opioids and prescription pharmaceuticals;
- Controlled dangerous substances;
- Weapons, firearms and ammunition.
Students must notify the Principal/Athletic Director if they enter into any type of NIL contracts/agreements within 72 hours after entering into the agreement.
PIAA Partners with ADVANCE as
Preferred Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) Consultants
Mechanicsburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) has signed a corporate partnership agreement with ADVANCE, powered by Anomaly and TeamAltemus. Through this partnership, ADVANCE will become the Preferred Name, Image and Likeness Consultants for PIAA. “The PIAA is excited to begin this partnership with ADVANCE to provide a resource for our coaches, athletic directors and our student-athletes families,” said PIAA Executive Director Dr. Robert Lombardi. “Their presentation to the state associations at the NFHS Winter Meetings, April Summit and the July PIAA Board of Directors Meeting really helped us understand how they could be a trusted NIL resource for us in protecting families through education.”
As part of the new partnership, ADVANCE will work with the PIAA to educate its member schools on the world of NIL through interactive webinar sessions, a dedicated NIL page on www.piaa.org along with student-athlete families and school staff having the opportunity to subscribe to their on-demand mobile app for NIL protective education.
“ADVANCE is proud to be the preferred consultant for the PIAA as it enters the NIL era of high school athletics," said Courtney Altemus, ADVANCE Managing Partner. “In this new NIL environment, real world practical education for student-athletes, families and school leaders is critical. Dr. Robert Lombardi and his team have put a tremendous amount of time, research and thought into how best to assist and educate PIAA families and staff throughout the association. We’re excited and honored to continue working with them.”
In keeping with the corporate mission of ADVANCE, the proceeds from this partnership will go directly to the PIAA Foundation to underwrite the cost of student-athletes attending the annual NFHS leadership conferences.
ADVANCE is an unbiased industry leader in Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) education and advisory services. Our diverse team strategically brings together experts across sports business, education, finance, law, marketing, branding and risk/compliance. Our on-demand mobile app for student-athletes and their families provides NIL protective education that is customized from our experience of working with over 20,000 student athletes from across the country.
Beginning in Pittsburgh, on December 29, 1913, PIAA was given the privilege of serving its member schools and registered officials by establishing policies and adopting contest rules that emphasize the educational values of interscholastic athletics, promote safe and sportsmanlike competition and provide uniform standards for all interscholastic levels of competition.
PIAA Chief Operating Officer
(717) 697-0374 ext. 109 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ADVANCE Director of High School Partnerships
(215) 850-3510 or email@example.com