2021/22 Park Forest Elementary
Dear Incoming Kindergarten PFE Families,
Hello! I am excited to send this first email to you! We are excited to have you join the PFE Penguin Family.
As I am sure you are aware, there are several moving parts to this summer as we transition back into a more “normal school year.” I ask for your patience as we continue to adjust!
If you haven’t heard, I will be passing the torch to our new PFE Principal, Dr. Jessica Quinter, on July 1, 2021; however, I will still be a part of the planning and transition this summer and fall.
I have a few updates for your in preparation for the fall 2021-2022 school year:
- 6/24/21 - I will be holding an optional tour of PFE on 6/24/21 at 1:30p for Kindergarten students with last names from A - L. On 6/25/21 the tour will be at 1:30 for M - Z. This is one of many opportunities to visit PFE this summer so don’t panic if you can’t make it in for this first transition tour.
- 8/18/21 - If your child plans to ride the school bus in the fall, we have a bus orientation scheduled for 8/18/21 at 11:00am in front of our building in the bus loop.
- 8/18/21 - Kindergarten Open House is also scheduled for 8/18/21. More information is forthcoming, however we will host small group tours throughout the day for interested families.
- 8/20/21 - Meet the Teachers will occur online for families to meet our K teaching team! A link will be sent to all families prior to the meeting!
- 8/24/21- PFE will host a Kindergarten Students only orientation. Parents will drop their child off and pick them up after this orientation.
- In-Person - Last Names A-L 9:00a-10:30am
- In-Person - Last Names M-Z 12:30p-2:00pm
- 8/25/21-8/27/21 - “Kindergarten Under Construction” Camp (First Week)
- The first week of school is when our entire PFE Kindergarten team and students will follow a typical school day schedule and plans for arrival and dismissal. During our “camp,” we assess your child, teach them about arrival and dismissal procedures, showcase technology, lunch, recess, and specials schedules, and help prepare them for the most successful school year ever! These days are full, regularly scheduled days with regular arrival and dismissal.
- 8/30/21: Prior to this day, your family will be notified of your child’s permanent homeroom teacher assignment. Your child will begin to report regularly to that teacher on this day.
This is lots of information for new families; however, we will post our updates on our website and keep in touch with you as often as we can!
The office is open daily through the months of June and August and will be open Monday-Thursday mornings during the month of July. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, comments, or concerns!
Looking forward to meeting you and your new penguins!
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Stay safe and be well.
Director of Federal Programs and Gifted Services
State College Area School District
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801
Park Forest Elementary
2181 School Dr., State College, PA 16803
Park Forest Elementary School Song
Below is the recording of this year's 5th graders, who, in this unique year, had to record themselves individually. Mr. Edmunds (David's dad) put this together for us! Our wonderful Mrs. Begg wrote the music set to lyrics that last year's 5th graders wrote for Mrs. Begg. Mrs. Begg asked last year's 5th graders to give her words that "represented" Park Forest Elementary.
I get up, I've got a place to go!
I belong at a school I know.
Teachers and friends, at every turn.
Important things that I need to learn!
(CHORUS) At PFE, PFE, PFE the school for me
I love PFE, PFE, Park Forest Elementary
Being kind, and standing side by side,
Every day, we show our penguin pride.
Memories made through work and fun.
We grow, and we respect everyone.
The P.A.W.S.(Providing Assistance With Schoolwork) Project is a Nittany Lions Read/Nittany Lions Count Program dedicated to offering “homework help and support” to the children and families of the surrounding communities. The P.A.W.S. Project employs eligible and qualified Penn State Students to engage remotely with third through eighth grade children to provide individualized homework support in the areas of literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies. The Community Service Federal Work-Study Office within the Office of Student Aid at The Penn State University – University Park, coordinates the P.A.W.S. Program. Utilizing Zoom, program staff will review the child’s homework assignments, assessing and strategizing with the child to establish a manageable approach to the child’s homework success. Throughout the engagement, program staff seek to determine areas of both strength and need and encourage/assist the child to not only complete their assignments, but also to comprehend the topics or concepts more fully.
Interested families may schedule a "Homework Help" session utilizing the link below. For more information or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Work Family Needs Assessment - Please fill out this form if you have students within the State College Area School District and your family has any unmet family needs. Once we receive the form, one of our Social Worker will contact you.
Community Support & Donations Volunteer - During this challenging time, we understand some families may have significant needs such as food insecurity and transportation needs. As the saying goes, "It takes a village" and we cannot stress our appreciation for our community enough. Please review this form if interested in helping.
In starting RISE, Penn State's Randy McEntaffer hoped the allure of rocket science would draw more students of color to physics, engineering and other STEM fields. During the past school year, RISE literally proved to be a soaring success.
After five years of leading State High through a historic period, Curtis Johnson is joining the district administration cabinet as the assistant superintendent of secondary education. On June 28, the SCASD Board of Directors approved Johnson’s appointment.
Park Forest Elementary School
Home of the Penguins!
2181 School Drive
State College, PA. 16803
Office - 814-231-5010, FAX - 814-235-4825
Safe at School 814-231-5017
School Hours: 8:10 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.