Academic & Tutoring OptionsWhere to start if having academic struggles? Check out this link: Questions about grades?Students seeking assistance to catch up on credits and/or just improve their grades have plenty of resources to help them succeed academically. Of course, conferencing with their classroom teachers is the first, and often most effective strategy to receiving needed help.
Academic Center for Enrichment - Dr. Denise Schwab and Ms. Michelle Kump
The State College Area High School is committed to helping every student succeed. The Academic Center for Enrichment (ACE) is designed to give high school students who are struggling academically another opportunity to reach their academic potential and to prepare them for lifelong success. If mandated, instead of going to a study hall, your student will report to room D126. Time in ACE will provide an opportunity for more individualized instruction for your student.
Zero Period "Before School" Tutoring - Mr Alex Kimbro
Before school tutoring for core classes (English, science, math and social studies) will run from 7:30-8:30 AM Monday thru Friday in room D126. Before school tutoring is completely optional and we will be accepting any drop-ins from students requiring assistance with core classes. Please see schedule below.
Monday/Thursday - Math & English assistance
Tuesday/Wednesday - Science & Social Studies assistance
Friday - ACE teachers are available for general assistance
- VIPS (Volunteers in Public Schools) After School Tutoring
- Learn more about VIPS: https://www.scasd.org/Page/23106
- Wednesdays and Thursdays 3:30-6:00, application required - limited seats available - apply early.
- The applications are available online here: #Complete a VIPS Tutoring Application.
- Please contact Community Ed with any questions.
- Math Club Tutoring - By appointment only (please see your LE teacher, Erol McGowan or assigned counselor).
- National Honor Society - peer tutoring (please see Mrs. Rand or your counselor)
- KHAN Academy - http://www.khanacademy.org/ Free test prep & tutoring.
- Private Tutors - please stop by counseling for a list of Math experts that will tutor for a fee. Private tutoring costs around $45 per hour.
Local Test Prep & Tutoring Resources:Some providers also offer individual instruction, call for rates. Some providers guarantee results or clients receive a refund.Always ask the question: Do you guarantee results?