Ground Rules, Expectations, Advice, and General Housekeeping Policies
In general here’s what you can expect from me, what I expect from you, and some suggestions to make your life easier (and your grade higher).
Trust & Respect - I live by this. I will trust you completely until you give me a reason not to. I respect you as an individual and your opinions and ideas (as long as they are based on fact and you can intelligently justify them). I expect the same common courtesy in return. Always be respectful. If you have a question, suggestion, or problem please bring it to me in an appropriate, respectful, and mature manner, and I will give it full consideration.
Community & Ownership – Our class is a community and how well that community works depends on all of us working together. This a two way street: your willingness to take ownership of your learning and be a positive part of the class and our discussions, will determine the quality of those discussions and the quality of your classroom experience. In short, we can have a great year, but it’s up to you to own it, and make it a reality.
Expectations of Students – I expect you to be trustworthy and honest. I expect you to act with integrity in all situations. I expect that you will be respectful of me, your classmates, and the classroom community. I expect you to be organized, pay attention to detail, and be a self-sufficient and responsible individual. I expect your active participation and engagement in class. I expect your best effort.
How to make your life easier and your grade better:
- Raise your hand before speaking.
- Respect others while they are speaking (including me).
- Ask only appropriate questions that relate to our discussion or lesson.
- Be on time.
- Be prepared.
- Do your work, on time.
- No electronics, unless I say so.
- Put your name, class period, date, and topic on ALL of your work.
- Write neatly, in complete sentences, using proper spelling and grammar. Always.
- Be organized. Keep everything I give you, in order, with your name, period, and date on it.
- Pay attention to details. Take notes all the time!
- Follow directions. If you do everything that I ask you to, you’ll get a good grade. It’s that simple
ContinuityCausality (Cause and Effect)
Ethics/MoralityCyclical Nature of HistoryRise and Fall of Civilizations/Empires
Present-day ConnectionsBeing curious and asking questions is important. Don’t ever be afraid to ask.