MASKS ARE REQUIRED EVERYDAY! Please have your child practice wearing it for longer periods of time before school begins! Thank you for your cooperation and support. We want everyone to stay safe! Your child should bring an extra mask in his/her backpack.
*IXL Math will be up and running for first grade in the first week of school. You can access it from the link on this web site or put it in your browser. Your child's user id and birthdate (mm/dd) are required. The user id can be found in the Online Portal. A letter with this information will be sent home.
Please follow the elementary handbook guidelines for appropriate clothing. In the winter, dressing in layers is recommended. In the fall and spring, when it's cold enough for a heavy coat in the morning, it might be warm enough for just a sweatshirt by recess time. Be sure your child has a choice on those days of contrasting weather! We will be spending a good deal of time outdoors, even for learning, so make sure your child dresses for the weather!
- We eat lunch outdoors or in our classroom, from 11:00-11:35. Please review the menu each day and be sure that your child likes one of the main entree choices. If not, packing lunch is always an option.
- Remember to return all library books when they are due. The librarian will tell the children when the books are due back. I suggest designating a special place in your house to keep the books so that you always know where they are! Consider sending the books in as soon as your child is finished with them.
- We have gym on Day 5. Please be sure that your child wears sneakers.
- Also, if your child wears boots/flip flops on any day of the week, please put sneakers in your child's backpack for classroom wear. In the winter, boots worn outside get very wet and then make our rug and your child's feet very wet! If your child wears boots, sandals or flip flops to school, sneakers are recommended for recess everyday!
- We do not have provisions for children to stay inside from recess unless they have a doctor's excuse.
- Please make sure that your child has a backpack everyday. And please check it for papers everyday. There is a Backpack Folder in your child's backpack that should stay in the backpack. You can put notes and forms in it and be sure to remind your child to give them to the teacher!
- Please deposit lunch money on-line at the school district food service web site.
- Please make every effort to have your child arrive between 7:55-8:09 a.m. The buses do arrive at that time. Children are marked late if they arrive after 8:10 a.m. IF YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO EAT BREAKFAST AT SCHOOL, THEY WILL EAT IN THE ALL-PURPOSE ROOM AND COME TO THE CLASSROOM BY 8:09.
- If you plan to take a trip or make an appointment, please consider writing a note ahead of time. Sometimes children will miss an important activity and we might be able to work around it (or I might be able to be flexible with the activity). Trips require an educational trip form from the office, two weeks prior to your trip.
- We do go out for a half-hour recess everyday mid-morning. We will also go out for a short afternoon recess. Please have your child dress for the weather. Sneakers are better for outdoor play than crocs or flip flops!
- If you have a note for the teacher, this year it would be best if you e-mailed me. I can always forward it to the office or nurse for you.
- Please help your child remember where to meet you after school, or what bus s/he is riding home. Any changes in transportation must be in writing, including going home with friends. An e-mail is sufficient!
- THERE IS NO HOMEWORK IN FIRST GRADE. HOWEVER, IT IS EXPECTED THAT FIRST GRADERS SPEND 10-15 MINUTES READING OR BEING READ TO EVERY EVENING.
- The book orders that come home are completely voluntary. If you do not wish to order at the time, simply recycle the forms. Or feel free to order on line at any time. Just send me an e-mail, letting me know. I will send home the class code soon.
- Please help your child learn how to to tie shoes sometime this school year--it's a handy skill!
- We will be having snack everyday around 9:20 a.m. Please provide a healthy small snack that your child can open independently. Certainly let me know if your child has allergies!
- If your child is going to be late for school, please try to let me know via e-mail, note or phone call. When you bring him/her back to school, please sign him/her in at the office and send the child to the room by him/herself. This will help minimize many interruptions during the school day. If you need to speak to me, please leave a note in my mailbox in the office, send me an e-mail or call me! Thanks so much for your cooperation!
- If your child is sick and going to be absent, I really appreciate an e-mail, especially if it is for multiple days! Sometimes the office will not inform me that you called and I do worry about my students! If your child has a fever, vomits or has diarrhea (or experienced one of these overnight), please keep him/her home.
- DON'T FORGET TO VIEW YOUR CHILD'S PROGRESS REPORT ON LINE!