MASKS ARE REQUIRED EVERYDAY! Please have your child practice wearing it for longer periods of time before school begins! Thank you for your cooperation and support. We want everyone to stay safe!
*IXL Math will be up and running for first grade in the first week of school. You can access it from the link on this web site or put it in your browser. Your child's user id and birthdate (mm/dd) are required. The user id can be found in the Online Portal. A letter with this information will be sent home.
Please follow the elementary handbook guidelines for appropriate clothing. In the winter, dressing in layers is recommended. In the fall and spring, when it's cold enough for a heavy coat in the morning, it might be warm enough for just a sweatshirt by recess time. Be sure your child has a choice on those days of contrasting weather! We will be spending a good deal of time outdoors, even for learning, so make sure your child dresses for the weather!
- We eat lunch in in our classroom, from 12:10-12:45. Please review the menu each day and be sure that your child likes one of the main entree choices. If not, packing lunch is always an option.
- Remember to return all library books on Day 1 of each week. They must bring back both books every Day 1. I suggest designating a special place in your house to keep the books so that you always know where they are! Consider sending the books in on Day 5 and your child can enjoy them in school for one day!
- We have gym on Day 5. Please be sure that your child wears sneakers.
- Also, if your child wears boots/flip flops on any day of the week, please put sneakers in your child's backpack for classroom wear. In the winter, boots worn outside get very wet and then make our rug and your child's feet very wet! If your child wears boots, sandals or flip flops to school, sneakers are recommended for recess everyday!
- We do not have provisions for children to stay inside from recess unless they have a doctor's excuse.
- Please make sure that your child has a backpack everyday. And please check it for papers everyday.
- Please deposit lunch money on-line at the school district food service web site. If you send in lunch money or a check, please have the money in an envelope that is labeled with your child's name, how much is enclosed and what to buy. Also, please let your child know if s/he is allowed to buy an extra entree (e.g. 2 pieces of pizza).
- Please make every effort to have your child arrive between 7:55-8:09 a.m. The buses do arrive at that time. Children are marked late if they arrive after 8:10 a.m. The doors open at 7:55 a.m. Children are not supervised before 7:55 a.m. IF YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO EAT BREAKFAST AT SCHOOL, THEY NEED TO PICK UP BREAKFAST AT THE STATION IN THE HALLWAY ON THE WAY TO CLASS AND COME BACK TO THE ROOM TO EAT.
- If you plan to take a trip or make an appointment, please consider writing a note ahead of time. Sometimes children will miss an important activity and we might be able to work around it (or I might be able to be flexible with the activity). Trips require an educational trip form from the office, two weeks prior to your trip.
- We do go out for a half-hour recess everyday mid-morning. We will also go out for a short afternoon recess near the end of the day. Please have your child dress for the weather. Sneakers are better for outdoor play than crocs or flip flops!
- Please remind your child to put all notes, lunch money, book order money or papers to return ON MY CHAIR in the morning at arrival time. Young children often "forget" to give me important notes from you even if you or I remind them! If it's really important, feel free to e-mail me to make sure I got the note!
- Please help your child remember where to meet you after school, or what bus s/he is riding home. Any changes in transportation must be in writing, including going home with friends. An e-mail is sufficient!
- THERE IS NO HOMEWORK IN FIRST GRADE. HOWEVER, IT IS EXPECTED THAT FIRST GRADERS SPEND 10-15 MINUTES READING OR BEING READ TO EVERY EVENING.
- The book orders that come home are completely voluntary. If you do not wish to order at the time, simply recycle the forms. Or feel free to order on line at any time. Just send me an e-mail, letting me know. I will send home the class code soon.
- Please help your child learn how to to tie shoes sometime this school year--it's a handy skill!
- We will be having snack everyday around 10:15 a.m. Please provide a healthy small snack. Certainly let me know if your child has allergies!
- Please help your child remember to bring something interesting for sharing. Some parents have their child put sharing in backpacks on Monday even if sharing day is later in the week. If children forget, they are asked to "tell" something. This is sometimes hard for first graders--it's easier to have an item in hand to talk about. Have your child practice what he or she is going to say. This is a great opportunity to build confidence in speaking in front of others.
- If your child is going to be late for school, please try to let me know via e-mail, note or phone call. When you bring him/her back to school, please sign him/her in at the office and send the child to the room by him/herself. This will help minimize many interruptions during the school day. If you need to speak to me, please leave a note in my mailbox in the office, send me an e-mail or call me! Thanks so much for your cooperation!
- If your child is sick and going to be absent, I really appreciate an e-mail, especially if it is for multiple days! Sometimes the office will not inform me that you called and I do worry about my students! If your child has a fever, vomits or has diarrhea (or experienced one of these overnight), please keep him/her home.
- DON'T FORGET TO VIEW YOUR CHILD'S PROGRESS REPORT ON LINE!