Welcome to the Orange Team!2019-2020
Summer greetings from the Mount Nittany Middle School Orange Team. We are happy to have you as a student on our team, and we look forward to a successful school year.
Meet the Orange Team teachers:
Amy Anderson Art (Fall) email@example.com
Heather Brewer Music (Spring) firstname.lastname@example.org
Sue Conrad English email@example.com
Chelsea Cummins Academic Literacy firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Dietz Math email@example.com
Kate Walker Science firstname.lastname@example.org
Lorraine Howley Social Studies email@example.com
One of our Orange Team goals is to help our students with organization. With that goal in mind, please refer to the list below when purchasing your school supplies. We recommend, for organizational reasons, that students have an individual binder for each of the main subjects. Clearly labeled binders will also be beneficial when retrieving materials from lockers.
Homeroom: 2 boxes of tissues
English: one durable folder, ear buds, one marble composition books with sewn binding and five pencils (to donate to the classroom)
Science: 1” 3-ring binder, simple four function calculator, one tape-bound composition book/journal
Social Studies: 1 - 2-pocket folder, notebook paper or copybook, Blue or Black pen, 2 #2 pencils, 2 Highlighters & 1 pr. of inexpensive earbuds
Academic Literacy: 1" 3-ring binder, notebook paper, highlighters, earbuds & pencils
Advanced Algebra I: 1” 3-ring binder, Texas Instruments (TI) graphing calculator (not required, but strongly recommended)
Algebra & Geometry 8: 1” 3-ring binder, basic calculator
Advanced Geometry: 2” 3-ring binder, protractor and a compassArt (fall semester 2018): 2-pocket folder, a 9X12 sketchbook or unlined printer paper, and four #2 pencils to be donated and used in the art classroomMusic (spring semester 2019): 1” 3-ring binder with pockets, notebook paper, and a pair of headphones/earbuds for the keyboard lab (buying an extra pair to leave at school is strongly recommended)In addition, all students should have and maintain an ample supply throughout the year of #2 pencils, erasers, pens (blue and colored for self-correcting), highlighters, and loose-leaf notebook paper for each binder.
Since all eighth grade students will have their own Chromebooks this year, we are asking that all students purchase personal ear buds for use with classroom Chromebook activities that may require the use of sound, especially in music class.
Mark your calendar for Back-to-School Night on Thursday, August 22, 2019.
We invite all of our parents, guardians and students to attend the MNMS 8th Grade Back-to-School Night on Thursday, August 22nd at 6:30 to 8:00 PM. Teachers will be available to meet students and parents, give students their locker combinations and locker numbers.
Snacks & Water
We permit nutritious snacking during period five/six, as long as it does not disturb the class. Each student must bring his/her own nutritional snack; sharing distracts others. Please do not send candy or full-size bags of snacks. They will not be permitted. Water in plastic bottles is permitted.
Eighth Grade is a Pivotal Year
The Orange Team recognizes that eighth grade is the culminating year at Mount Nittany Middle School. Your child has changed in many ways since he/she entered sixth grade. The sixth and seventh grade years were building blocks in developing successful academic performance. During this school year, your child must learn to balance academic challenges, peer issues, extracurricular activities, and family responsibilities. Learning to maintain this balance is never easy; in fact, we believe that it is a lifetime skill that requires dedication to responsible academic and social behavior. The rules we have established will not only facilitate the transition from middle school to high school, they will become tools that your child can use to achieve success in the future. Please review these rules with your child before the start of school.
Orange Team’s Steps to Success
• Students are expected to be prepared for class. They should make sure that they have all materials needed before class begins. Students may go to their lockers between classes. Once class begins, they will not be permitted to go to their lockers.
• In order to receive full credit, homework must be completed and turned in on time.
• Homework is not late if a student is absent. However, students are responsible for turning in past due assignments upon their return to school. Tests need to be scheduled and made up in a timely manner, as well. Students who will miss part or most of a school day due to medical appointments, field trips, extracurricular activities, etc. are expected to turn in homework and obtain assignments before they leave and make up any quizzes or tests the next school day. Students who arrive late to school are responsible for seeing the teachers of the classes missed prior to arrival.
• Academic integrity is critical for success; therefore, if a student is caught copying another student’s work, both papers will be taken and the school discipline policy will be followed. If the offense is for an off-team class assignment, both papers will be forwarded to the appropriate teacher.
• Students should show respect by treating each other with integrity. We want to create an atmosphere where all students feel comfortable learning and socializing. Harassment and unkind teasing will not be tolerated.
Study Skills Tips
Study skills are a very important part of your child’s education. Students need to establish strong skills at an early age. Here are some helpful hints:
·Students should establish a specific schedule for doing homework and studying.
·Students should study in several short sessions of 40 to 50 minutes each with a few minutes break between each session. Students should take notes as they read.
·Encourage your child to review class notes and readings each day as an integral part of his/her study time. This will improve overall comprehension and long-term retention.
·Review previous quizzes and tests with your child.
·Students should use the assignment book daily to record all assignments.
Bookmark this page: Orange Team Homework
See what is happening in the Orange Team classes by visiting the Mount Nittany Orange Team homework page. On the Mount Nittany homepage, under the “Teams” heading, click on 8th Grade Orange and navigate to the Homework Table.
Enjoy the remainder of your summer vacation!