• The Transition Coordinator for the State College Area School District is Lydia Everhart (lae16@scasd.org).

    Students Should:

    -Narrow choices of postsecondary schools or colleges.
    -Begin completing postsecondary school and college applications. Applying early in the selection process may increase the chance of getting into school or college of choice.
    -Discuss transition options for work or college during IEP meetings.
    -Stop using academic adjustments that would not be provided in postsecondary schools or colleges such as: unlimited time, open book tests, clarification of test questions, word banks, shorter tests, modified tests, limited choices, etc.
    -Use academic adjustment letters for most or all courses, and self-advocate for academic adjustments in courses. For example, if extended time is needed for exams, the student should present a letter from the Special Education Department for extended time (50% or 100%) to the
    teacher, and discuss the logistics related to the academic adjustment (i.e., date, location of exam). The academic adjustments should be similar to those used in postsecondary schools and colleges.
    -Contact disability services office at colleges to schedule and participate in an intake appointment.
    -Research the disability services office Web site to review documentation guidelines.
    -Submit documentation to the disability services office at the postsecondary schools or colleges that you have chosen.
    -Ask the disability services office to review documentation to determine if it meets the guidelines.
    -Discuss requested academic adjustments to determine if your request is reasonable (academic adjustments received in high school are not always appropriate for college). Most postsecondary schools provide academic adjustments on a course-by-course and case-by-case basis. Therefore, most postsecondary schools will not be able to tell you exactly what will be received every semester, but they should be able to ensure that you would be eligible or not for services at the postsecondary level.
    -Once accepted, contact the disability services office to discuss academic adjustments for the freshman year placement testing. Typically, colleges have placement tests for English, Math, or Sciences. Students who do not meet college level in those areas may be required to take
    remedial courses.
    -Meet with a professor, academic advisor, or representative of the college major you intend to pursue.
    -Schedule an appointment with the Office for Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=128&q=61197 to discuss assistance available.
    -Request and schedule an assistive technology assessment through OVR, if applicable.

    Parents Should:

    -Continue involvement in IEP. Son/daughter should be speaking for themselves during these meetings.
    -Continue discussions with son/daughter about postsecondary school or college choices. Note admission deadlines for applications. Applying early in the selection process may increase chances of getting into college or postsecondary school of their choice.
    -Assist son/daughter as they complete college applications.
    -Contact the financial aid office to see if the costs of tuition, room or board are expected to increase.
    -Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
    -Research disability services Web sites for information on eligibility, documentation guidelines,and services.
    -Accompany son/daughter to intake appointment (first time appointment) to the disability services office. Son/daughter should do the majority of the talking and questioning about their condition in this meeting. Parents may fill in the gaps when necessary.
    -Give written permission for son/daughter to have contact with the Office for Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR), if appropriate. OVR Web site is located at: http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=128&q=61197
    -Make sure that documentation for the disability services office has been sent, received, and evaluated for coverage under the American’s with Disabilities Act (1990).

    After Graduation:

    Student Should:
    -Contact the person that they met with in the disability services office after registering for courses (i.e., Summer semester, Fall semester). This will help to ensure that the disability services personnel are prepared for providing services for individual courses that you are registered.
    Remember that in college, academic adjustments are done on a case-by-case and course-by course basis.

    -Prior to arriving at college, schedule an appointment with the disability services office for the first week of the semester.

    Internet Resources:

    Career Exploration:

    College Planning:

    College Choices:

    Transition to Postsecondary Education:

Last Modified on August 24, 2020