• Q. How May I Apply for Medical Assistance for my Child?
    A. Your child may be eligible for medical assistance due to family income and/or some physical or behavioral conditions that require special education. You can apply online at the Pennsylvania Government's COMPASS website. If you are confused or need help, feel free to contact me.
    You may also contact the local Centre County Office of Assistance to ask for a mail application or for help. Their phone number is: (814) 863-6571.
    Q. How May I Apply for a TSS (Therapeutic Staff Support) for My Child?

    If your child has a diagnosis from a physician and/or psychologist indicating a requirement for additional support services in order to be successful in the classroom, you can request therapeutic staff support assessment by a behavioral specialist. An existing diagnosis for medication/services not covered by your existing medical insurance can qualify your child for medical assistance (access) through the County Assistance Office. You can call their office to ask to have a paper application mailed to you; or, you can apply online at the Pennsylvania Government's COMPASS website.
    On the application, when you complete the section about why you are applying, you can state: "Services and/or medication needed for school."  You will need to provide documentation for this: either doctor’s letter and/or your child’s IEP.

    Application Process Options

    For more help with the process of applying and information about available services, you may contact Community Care Behavioral Health at 1-866-878-6046. 

    With an access (medical assistance) card, you can call one of the providers of behavioral support service and request it yourself:

    1. Children's Behavioral Health: 814-954-8954
    2. Merakey: 814-238-4851 x 201 (Formerly NHS)
    3. Family Behavioral Resources: 814-419-8046
    4. Cen-Clear Behavioral Health*: 814-342-5678 (However, they do NOT always have staff available in all areas.)
    For additional mental health services and supports, you may contact the Centre County Mental Health/Intellectual Disabilities/Early Intervention & Drug and Alcohol Offices at 814-355-6786.  
    Q. How Can I Help My Child to be Ready to Learn in School?
    A. Parents can help their children first by making sure they get adequate rest, nutrition, and care for both their physical and mental health. Children are better able to learn if their bodies and minds are healthy and well-rested. During the last 2 weeks of the summer, get your child used to a bedtime routine that allows her or him to wake up and get ready for each day. This is important whether your child is beginning preschool, kindergarten, or any higher grade of school.
    Beyond these basic needs, parents can spend time with their children each day, talking and reading. This time spent together helps to create a bond that nurtures a family relationship as well as a learning environment. Teaching your child to take turns in a conversation gives her or him practice in listening and speaking.
    Q. How can I help my child with homework?
    A. Some of these techniques may help a child focus on homework:
    • Provide a quiet space to do homework. Limit TV, telephone and other distractions.
    • Break up the homework period by having your child work for 10-15 minutes, then take a break.
    • Help your child break large tasks into smaller ones. Figure out what's manageable.
    • Make daily "To Do" lists. Have your child check off each task as it's done.
    • Help your child get organized. Keep school supplies in one place. Provide assignment sheets or a calendar for writing down assignments.
    • Set a specific time for doing homework. Shortly after school, or after dinner, before watching TV, 4 o'clock, etc.
    • Establish a routine for how your child does homework. For instance, have your child do the hardest task first, or study before doing written work. See what works best.
    • Set a timer to help your child keep track of time.
    • Tell the teacher if your child can't do assignments.
     Q. Who is a safe and confidential resource that we can reach out to in the community when we need help? 
    Centre Helps
     Centre Helps will listen and then direct you to the right resources for your expressed concerns.
Last Modified on January 6, 2020