AP (Advanced Placement) test information
Advanced Placement exams are subject-specific tests given each May at the end of college-level courses taught in high school. A student who does well on the tests may receive college credit or advanced placement in college. It is highly recommended that you review your prefered college(s) for their AP credit policy. Penn State AP Credit policy can be reviewed here. For more information about the AP Exams or programs talk to your AP teacher or click here to access the College Board website.The 2020 AP Exams will be administered over two weeks in May. State College Area High School uses Penn State University classrooms and the high school for AP exam testing. We provide busses to take students to PSU for their exams leaving at 7:00am for AM exams and 11:30am for PM exams. There is a return bus for the morning exams; however, students are required to have their own transportation home after the afternoon exams. Students who plan to walk or drive themselves to or from the PSU AP exams must fill out the AP Student Transportation Form and returned to E128/E132 prior to the day of their scheduled exam.Test registration begins at the community education website. To utilize this portal, follow the AP online registration directions. To register for tests, students will also be required to have a College Board account and will need to get a join code for the test registration from either the teacher of their AP class, or the AP Coordinator including students who are homeschooled, or self-studying for the exam.IMPORTANT NOTE: Students must do BOTH to be registered:1. Pay for the exam through the community education portal (or be granted a fee waiver in the Counseling Office)2. Join the course with a join code on College BoardIf not, you are NOT registered for the exam and will not have a test ordered.
2020 AP Important Dates
- Wednesday, Sept. 18 - Oct. 3, 2019 - Online test payment portal & test registration for all year long and fall semester AP classes through Community Ed at https://www.scasd.org/domain/50
- Wednesday, Feb. 5 - Feb. 19, 2020 - Online test payment portal & test registration only for spring semester AP classes through Community Ed at https://www.scasd.org/domain/50
2020 AP Exam Dates
Morning 7:30 a.m.
Afternoon 12 p.m.
US Government & Politics
Physics C: Mechanics (12 PM)
Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism (2PM)
Calculus AB & Calculus BC
German Language & Culture
English Literature and Composition
Physics 2: Algebra-Based
Physics 1: Algebra-Based
United States History
Computer Science A
Studio Art — last day for Coordinators to submit digital portfolios (by 8 p.m. EDT) and to gather 2-D Design and Drawing students for physical portfolio assembly.
Spanish Language & Culture
English Language and Composition
Comparative Government and Politics
Computer Science Principles
French Language & Culture
- Test coordinators will inform students (by email) when and where to report for the exams - please check your emails. Early testing or testing at times other than those published by the College Board is not permitted under any circumstances. AP Online Registration Directions
- While late exams may be available for substantial conflicts when the AP Coordinator is informed in advance, we cannot guarantee test administration sessions beyond the regular test dates identified above.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I know if the college I am attending will accept AP credit? You can go directly to the college's website.
- If I am taking an AP course must I take the exam? No, you do not need to take the exam.
- May I take an AP exam if I am not enrolled in an AP course? Yes, you may take an exam, for example many students take Advanced World History in 10th grade and then take the AP World History Exam in May. Contact the AP Coordinator to ask for a join code for an exam-only section.
- I need testing accommodations for the AP exams. How do I apply for these? If you have an SSD # you will use that number If you do not have an SSD # then please talk with your current special education teacher to apply for a number. ACCOMMODATIONS MUST BE IN PLACE BY January 17 to qualify for the May exams. Need more information? click here for testing with accommodations.
- How much do exams cost? AP exams will be $98.00 per exam. Alternate exams may incur a late fee of $50 if reason is not an approved school activity. Registering late for an exam will be assessed a $40 late registration fee from College Board.
- I cannot afford an AP exam; are their scholarships? Students who receive free or reduced lunches qualify for a reduced fee of $25 per exam. Please go to the Counseling Office before registering for AP exams