Chapter 16 requires that "Each school district shall adopt and use a system to locate and identify all students within that district who are thought to be gifted and in need of specially designed instruction.” (22 Pa. Code §16.21(a))
The State College Area School District engages in a number of processes to identify potential candidates for gifted education services. Formal gifted screenings are conducted each year in 2 and 4. Additionally, school teams engage in ongoing data-analysis to identify students at all grade levels who may be in need of specially-designed instruction.
All new students who move into the district in grades 2-8 are also screened.
Grades 2 and 4 Screening Process:
- Level 1A: CogAT (Cognitive Abilities Test)
- Level 1B: District-Wide Assessment Data in Reading and Math
- Assessment data is compiled. Assessments used vary by grade, but the assessments used are common among all students at that level.
- The gifted teachers review these students with grade level teams.
- Discussion about students with potential masking factors is a component of the universal screening process.
- Level 2: District contacts parents to discuss a potential need for a gifted evaluation.
Additional screening activities take place by a review of student data at all grade levels in an ongoing fashion throughout the school year. Classroom teachers can recommend students for a gifted evaluation at any time. Additionally, parents can request a gifted evaluation for their child once per school year.
Student data for those moving through a special education evaluation is always reviewed for potential twice-exceptionality. During the 2018-2019 school year, case managers and school psychologists will review all previously identified students with a special education IEPs for potential twice-exceptionality. A team member will contact families for those students who may fit this profile for a potential special education re-evaluation to include the question of giftedness.
If you'd like additional information about SCASD's universal screening activities for Gifted Child Find, please contact the Director of Gifted and Learning Enrichment.