State College Area School District
Instructor: Mrs. Bridget Ciolkosz
Phone: (814) 231-1410
Department: Career and Technical Center – Marketing & Supply Chain Management
Course Title: Exploring Business
Businesses spend a phenomenal amount of money annually on promotional activities. Media advertising and visual merchandising are components of promotion in marketing. Students will learn to develop, create, and design advertisements and visual displays for the retail workplace in this semester course. Students will be required to plan and complete a professional display within the high school setting as well as design and create various media advertisements. Along with these hands-on activities students will have the opportunity to experience guest speakers, field trips, projects, and community resources.
- Explain the promotional mix concept and its role in marketing.
- Discuss trade and consumer sales promotions.
- Explain the nature and scope of public relations.
- Write a news release
- Discuss the elements of visual merchandising and the artistic aspects of creating a display.
- Explain the purpose and importance of advertising.
- Identify the different types of advertising media.
- Calculate media costs.
- Prepare print advertising.
Students will be evaluated in several different forms of assessment. They will be expected to take written exams, complete homework, participate in class discussions as well as group projects and simulations.
Attendance in this class is essential in order for the students to be successful as well as to learn the material. When a student is absent they should email the instructor to see what was missed in class. If a student is absent on a due date, they are responsible for getting the work to the instructor on that day regardless if they are in class or not.