• Medications on Field Trips

    • Below is a list of steps to complete the request for medications during a trip. This information would need to be included on the "SCASD Field Trip Permission Form" and turned in TWO WEEKS PRIOR to the field trip. Any medication sent on a field trip MUST have all requirements met per the district’s medication policy for medication administered at school.          


      Steps To Fill Out "SCASD Field Trip Permission Form":

       Step 1: Indicate a need for medication.

      If there is a need for medication, check-mark the box "DOES (    ) need medication"                   

      Step 2: Identify the person responsible for administering the medication.     

      You will need to handwrite in the person’s name on the line: " I have confirmed with the principal or teacher that __________________________ will supervise/administer the following medication(s). Then either checkmark the box of the medication or handwrite in the medication name where it states "Other medication".

      Because you know your child's medical history, it is recommended for the student's parent or guardian to attend the trip when possible. If a parent cannot attend, adult family members are welcome. This would fall under the category "Parent Designee".

      If no family member is available, it is possible for the teacher to be a "Parent Designee". The teacher, as parent designee, may administer medications to the student under the parent’s direction. However, permission from the teacher MUST be obtained prior to completing the form. Medications typically monitored and given by a teacher include benadryl and albuterol inhalers. These medications are only given as needed. Teachers may ELECT to accept designation of Epi-Pens, however, they MUST be certified to give an Epi-pen so please check with your child’s teacher to ensure this requirement has been met. All medications MUST have a written doctor’s order per the district’s medication policy.

      Lastly, a nurse may attend a field trip when warranted. This falls under "Licensed Nurse". Medications typically monitored and given by a nurse include insulin, glucagon, glucose tablets, and diastat. ***All medications and action plans/medication permission forms must be turned into the Health Room BEFORE a nurse could be scheduled***.

      ***If any ADHD medication administration times are during a trip, we ask that parents call the nurse to discuss the possibility of changing the administer time to when the student returns to school. 

      Step 3: Return the form back to school.                   

      If a nurse is needed on the field trip notify us immediately. Please note, it is the school district’s policy for the parent to return the form back to the teacher no later than TWO WEEKS BEFORE the scheduled trip. This gives the district time to schedule a substitute nurse. The school building’s School Nurse, or Health Room Para RN/LPN will not be attending the trip.

      We hope this information proves helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact your health room nurse should any questions arise.

      Clare Wild-Sapia RN, BSN, CSN

      Jeannie McCurdy RN, BSN