The district rebate is calculated on the amount of the 2018 (bills issued July 1, 2018) real estate taxes paid. Applications will be accepted beginning July 1, 2019. The deadline to file for the district rebate is June 30, 2020. District applications will be included with school real estate tax bills mailed July 1, 2018. Applications are available at the following locations:
1. State College Area School District claim form (PDF) (for July 1, 2018 tax bills)
2. State College Area School District Accounting Office located at 240 Villa Crest Drive, State College, PA 16801, (814) 272-8456.3. Area community locations such as Schlow Library, Centre County Office of Aging, Centre County Senior Center, Municipal Tax Offices, etc.
Information about the State College Area School District Supplemental Property Tax Rebate Program
This program is authorized on an annual basis by the Board of School Directors to provide property tax relief for eligible households in the State College Area School District. Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis. For the 2019-2020 year, $100,000 is available for the program. The maximum annual rebate for a household is $650 under this program.
1. Claimant is a homeowner in the State College Area School District. Renters are not eligible for this program.
2. Meets any of the following criteria:
o Claimant or claimant’s spouse is age 65 or older;
o Widows and widowers age 50 and older;
o People with disabilities age 18 and older.
3. Household income does not exceed $35,000 per year. One half of your social security income is excluded from this calculation.
4. Property is registered for a homestead/farmstead exclusion in the State College Area School District.
5. Claimant has been awarded a rebate from the Pennsylvania Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program. More information on this program can be found at: http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GeneralTaxInformation/PropertyTaxRentRebateProgram/Pages/default.aspx#.VQH5x-FFzik
6. Real estate tax bills for 2018-19 (issued July 1, 2018) must have been paid by December 31, 2018.
How to Apply
1. Residents seeking a rebate must first apply to Pennsylvania Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program. Your rebate amount depends on your eligibility level in the State program. There is a limit to the total amount of relief from state and local programs.2. Submit a copy of the following with your district rebate application:
o Completed PA-1000 for 2018. The form is available at: http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/Pages/Property-Tax-Rent-Rebate.aspx#.VQH96uFFzik
o Evidence of receipt of amount from your Pennsylvania Property Tax/Rent Rebate program for 2018.
3. If you moved or had a change in your personal status during the year, your rebate will be prorated. See PA-1000 for details.
4. Application materials should be sent to:
Supplemental Property Tax Program
State College Area School District
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801
Amount of Rebate
Eligible homeowners receive:
Income(from line 12 of Form PA-1000)
$0 to $8,000
$8,001 to $15,000
$15,001 to $18,000
$18,001 to $35,000
Property tax relief is considered a homestead exemption. As required by Pennsylvania, the maximum allowable amount of tax relief is 50 percent of the median assessed value of all homestead properties in the District multiplied by the district tax millage rate. For the current rebate year, the maximum amount of relief available to residents from all state and local programs is estimated at $1,672.
Property owners may submit their applications anytime between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020. Rebates will be awarded on a first come, first served basis until funds are expended. Eligible rebates will be issued by check. Estimated processing of rebates and mailing of checks is approximately six weeks. Please note that payments will begin after passage of the Commonwealth 2019-2020 budget.
Information about the Pennsylvania Property Tax Rebate Program
If you believe you are eligible for the 2018 Pennsylvania Property Tax Rebate, use booklet PA-1000 to apply for the rebate. The deadline to apply for the state program has been extended to December 31, 2019. Rebates are issued starting July 1 of each year. To inquire about the status of your rebate, go to https://www.doreservices.state.pa.us/pitservices/wheresmyrebate.aspx Property Tax/Rent Rebate claim forms are available online at http://www.revenue.state.pa.us or by calling the department’s information line at 1-888-222-9190.
Individuals who may claim the rebate must fall into one of the following categories:
§65 years of age or older
§Widow or widower age 50 or older
§Age 18 or more and permanently disabled
The claimant’s annual household income cannot exceed $35,000. Legislation in the late 1990’s broadened the rebate program by excluding 50% of Social Security payments and Railroad Retirement benefit payments from the eligible income.
Pennsylvania Property Tax Rebate forms and assistance are available at the Department of Revenue district offices (listed in the government section of your telephone directory).