From Joe Boaler YouCubed
1. Everyone can learn math to the highest levels
2. Mistakes are valuable
Mistakes grow your brain! It is good to struggle and make mistakes.
3. Questions are really important
Always ask questions, always answer questions. Ask yourself: why does that make sense?
4. Math is about creativity and making sense
Math is a very creative subject that is, at its core, about visualizing patterns and creating solution paths that others can see, discuss and critique.
5. Math is about connections and communicating
6. Value depth over speed.
7. Math Class is about Learning not Performing
Math is a growth subject, it takes time to learn and it is all about effort.
The following is a list of things that good mathematics students do in order to be successful.
1. Look for patterns
2. Create pictures, diagrams, and charts
4. Ask questions
5. Create a plan to solve the problem
6. Explain AND always show work
7. Check work
8. Don't rush
9. Use math to solve everyday problems
10. Look for new ways to find a solution
11. Use technology when appropriate