Your child should read for 20 minutes each night. You can read to your child, your child can read to you or your child can read to him or herself. Encourage your child to reread favorite stories. This helps to build fluency, speed and accuracy.
After reading, ask your child some questions about what they just read. Why do they think something happened? What else might have happened?
Also, Check For Understanding:
- Start the book by making predictions. What do you think will happen in this story?
- Ask questions and make comments during the reading process.
- After reading a book, have your child tell you the events from the story in the correct order.
- What was the problem in this story?
- How did the character feel when…?
- Encourage your child to make connections. Does this story remind you of another book you read, an event in your life, a movie?
- Stop and jot about your reading. Use your Think Marks.
Be patient, correct gently and praise with enthusiasm!