LGBTQ+ and Gender Equity Workgroup and Resources
LGBT and Gender Equity is a workgroup focused on exploring equity issues related to individuals who identify as LGBT and women and girls in our district.
If you are interested in joining a workgroup, contact us! A list of workgroups and their meeting times can be found here. Please contact Daniela Saraka for the Zoom meeting links.
SCASD School Board of Directors recently passed two new policies to support the Transgender and Gender Expansive Community.
Policy 100.2 - Supporting Transgender and Gender Expanisve Individuals
Policy 250 - Supporting Transgender and Gender Expansive Students
Policy 250AR - Administrative Regulations
- Defining LGBTQ Words for Children
- USA Today article has numerous popup ads, but the terms are grouped in a way that is helpful
- Gender Neutral Language
- NYU website for their students. LGBTQ Terminoloy. “Though connected and overlapping, the following living language of sexual and gender identity are often distinct and unique. Try not to think of them as definitions, but as a begin point for further research and listening. Furthermore, these identities and terms are constantly evolving and may not mean the same thing years from now or between two individuals who use them.”
- Human Rights Campaign glossary of Terms. “Many Americans refrain from talking about sexual orientation and gender expression identity because it feels taboo, or because they’re afraid of saying the wrong thing. This glossary was written to help give people the words and meanings to help make conversations easier and more comfortable.”
Teaching Websites with Resources
- The Genderbread Person (v4.0) A teaching tool for breaking the big concept of gender down into bite-sized, digestible pieces.
- GLSEN Championing LGBTQ issues in K-12 education. “Our mission is to create safe and affirming schools for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.”
- Gender Studies are for Everyone (terminology and why its important)
- PFLAG “Our mission is to build on a foundation of loving families united with LGBTQ people and allies who support one another, and to educate ourselves and our communities to speak up as advocates until all hearts and minds respect, value and affirm LGBTQ people.”
- HRC - Human Rights Campaign resources for schools; creating safe and welcoming schools for all children and families
Last Modified on November 11, 2021