State High Reads (and Writes!)
Short Stories: Thank yous!
- A special thank you to Penn State University Libraries for the loan of the Short Story Dispenser.
- Thank you to the MMHM Club for the sponsorship of our writing contest and to all of our contestants.
- Thank you to Mr. McConkey and Mr. Morath for providing the inspiration! (View the archived videos below.)
A Grey Day Provides the Best Light
This Week's Short Story
The Happy Prince
by Oscar Wilde
The statue of the Happy Prince stood high above the city. It was covered with gold, its eyes were bright blue jewels, and a red jewel hung from its waist. Everyone thought that it was very beautiful. ‘Why aren’t you like the Happy Prince?’ mothers said to their little boys when they cried. Sad men looked at the statue and said, ‘I am glad that someone in the world is happy.’ One night... READ MORE
Last Week's Short Story
The Gift of the Magi
by O. Henry
One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. Three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas. ... READ MORE
#StateHighReadsOur goal is to create a sense of community through:
- Sharing a common reading experience
- Promoting an understanding of different points of view
- Exchanging ideas among students, staff and the community
Read about our previous
"Like" us on Facebook!