Library Lunch BunchWho? 4th and 5th grade readers at Mt. Nittany Elementary
Mr. Brackbill will lead, but teachers and staff are welcome to participate!
Participation is voluntary – commitment can change from month to month
What? Monthly book discussion group based on a book of their choosing
When? Once a month =11:15 to 11:50 for 4th grade = DAY 2 once a month11:25 to 12:00 for 5th grade = DAY 2 once a month
Where? Library- students will bring lunch and eat while we discuss
Why? To let them be part of a community of readers in an informal setting
To promote the library as a meeting place of ideas
To offer an extra-curricular activity during school time for motivated students.
- Students will hear an announcement in library and in class about the program.
- They will discuss and vote on book titles.
- Then those who signed up can check out a paperback copy of the book (on top of their usual library books) to read independently during the month.
- Students should attempt to finish the book before the meeting, but may attend even if they aren’t done reading.
- We may also attempt to use Google Classroom to offer an on-line discussion as we read.
- Reminders will go to students prior to the meeting.
- On the day of the lunch bunch meeting, students will bring their lunch to the library to eat and discuss.
- Occasionally an activity or video clip may be used to enhance the discussion.
- Students will then prepare for the next month.
- Any students who participate in at least three discussions will be invited to an end of year party during lunch, hosted by Mr. Brackbill.
Thank you for helping to encourage and promote this re-started program. We want to make it a welcoming opportunity for ALL readers! Please see Mr. Brackbill if you have any ideas or questions.
Yours in literacy,
Last Modified on September 19, 2019