DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND BELONGING (DEIB)
The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) PTO Workgroup works to empower, honor and celebrate all members of our community. We strive to ensure that all members of the Easterly Parkway community feel like they belong. We seek to draw on the strength, resilience, and connectedness of marginalized communities and find ways to get families involved, hear their needs, foster inclusion and achieve equity for all students.
Because we recognize that DEIB must be at the forefront of our PTO work, beginning in Fall 2023 DEIB meetings will now be incorporated into our monthly PTO meetings, instead of being held on a separate day.
DEIB Work at Easterly Parkway Includes:
- Welcome Committee: Connect new families with current EP families to answer questions and share information about our school and community.
- Family Reading Nights: Read aloud and discussion/activity time featuring books with DEIB themes. Open to all students and offered 2-3 evenings throughout the school year.
- Helping Hands Fund: Work with school counselor, Mrs. Walter, to collect and distribute requested items (including winter gear, backpacks, etc.) to EP families needing extra support.
- Playground Meet Ups: Offered during the summer to provide opportunities for families to connect in a familiar, convenient location on the EP playground
- Work with ESL teachers to translate PTO flyers to support our multilingual community
- Advocate with the district about unique needs of our EP community and families
- Create space and opportunities for all students to participate in PTO activities