KID WEBSITESReading sites:1.Schlow Library "Read Alikes" http://sites.google.com/a/schlowlibrary.org/what-do-i-read-next1/Visit this link if you have read a book and want to find one like it to read next.
2. Scholastic News Magazine On-line https://sn4.scholastic.comVisit this link to read and view digital copies of the Scholastic News Magazine we use in class! Remember - you need the class password!
3. Epic! On-line Reading Site https://www.getepic.com/sign-inLog onto this link to find an online reading site tailored just for you! Remember - you need to log on with your student pin.
4. Wonderopolis http://wonderopolis.orgLog onto this link to find non-fiction articles based on kid questions. What do you really want to know more about? There are THOUSANDS of articles to read about very interesting topics.
5. Kidsreads http://www.kidsreads.com/reviewsDon't know what to read next? This site will give you some great reviews on kids books of all shapes and sizes!6. Author Websites you must check out!
Spelling/Vocabulary/Writing/Grammar sites:1. Vocabulary Company http://www.vocabulary.co.il/learn-english-vocabulary-new/Use the word games and activities on this website to expand your vocabulary.
- Kate DiCamillo www.katedicamillo.com
- Andrew Clements www.andrewclements.com
- Matt Christopher www.mattchristopher.com
- Dan Gutman dangutman.com
- Roald Dahl www.roalddahl.com
- Gary Paulsen www.penguinrandomhouse.com/authors/23384/gary-paulsen
- Jeff Kinney wimpykid.com
- Raina Telgemeier goraina.com
- Chris Van Allsburg hmhbooks.com/chrisvanallsburg/
- Rick Riordan rickriordan.com
2. Persuasive Writing Plan http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/persuasion_map/Use this link to create a plan for a persuasive writing piece.
3. Interactive Writing Games http://www.funenglishgames.com/writinggames.htmlThis is a great website to do some on-line writing - letters, directions, short stories.... Be sure to check it out!4. Comma Chameleon http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/grammar/punctuation.htmThis is a great game to play to work on adding punctuation in sentences!5. Beat the Clock Punctuation Game http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/game/en29punc-game-beat-the-clock-apostrophesThis is a quick game to practice putting apostrophes in the right place.5. Penalty Shootout - Possessive Apostrophe Game http://www.galacticphonics.com/apostrophes/interactive/possessiveps.htmThis is a fun soccer themed game to practice identifying where an apostrophe is in the right place to show ownership.Math sites:1. Fraction Games - Tons of Fun! http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htmYou have to scroll down to the Fraction category then choose your game!
2. Grand Slam Math - Math Playground - Add/Subtract Word Problems http://www.mathplayground.com/gsmbegin.htmlClick here to work on addition and subtraction word problems.
3. Meteor Multiplication http://arcademicskillbuilders.com/games/meteor/meteor.htmlThis is a game to play to practice your multiplication facts. Watch out... don't let the meteors hit your spaceship!
4. Multiplication Grand Prix http://arcademicskillbuilders.com/games/grand_prix/grand_prix.htmlThis is a fun racing game to practice your facts. You can make your own race, or race against other kids that have logged on!
5. Multiplication Practice http://www.multiplication.comPractice those multiplication facts in a fun way!
6. Alien Addition http://arcademicskillbuilders.com/games/alien/alien.htmlDo you need to practice your addition facts? This is the game to play!
7. Division Demolition http://arcademicskillbuilders.com/games/demolition/demolition.html
This is a good game to practice your division skills.
8. Cool Math 4 Kids http://www.coolmath4kids.comDo you like math? Do you like cool games? If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, rush to this site and check it out!
9. Math Nook http://www.mathnook.com/This is another fun site to practice math skills. You can do a "search" for different topics, like...... rounding!
10. Minus Mission http://www.arcademics.com/games/mission/mission.htmlCheck out this game to practice subtraction facts!
11. Division with Multiples of 10s and 100s http://www.studyzone.tv/game87 coded545c33546a565f7f570a66bfa20ba99Hop on the study zone website and play this fun game. It's a race against the clock, and as you pass each level, time goes faster. How fast can you go?
12. Multiple and Divide by 10s, 100s, and 1000s http://kids.britannica.com/lm/games/GM_5_5/GM_5_5.htmSend the farmer along the correct path across the water to his barn by multiplying and dividing by groups of 10s, 100s, and 1000s.
13. Mr. Nussbaum's Artie Ounces Soda Jerk for Standard Measurement - Capacity http://mrnussbaum.com/soda/Visit this website to practice US Customary (standard) measurement for capacity. Can you fill all the drink orders correctly before running out of time?
14. Illuminations Website http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3510
Visit this website for lots of cool math games that make you think!15. Mr. Nussbaum's Sushi Fractions http://mrnussbaum.com/sushi-fractions/
This is a great website to practice fractions!
16. Mr. Nussbaum's Tony's Fraction Pizzas http://mrnussbaum.com/tonyfraction/If you like pizza and fractions, you'll enjoy this game!
17. Mr. Nussbaum's Decimals of the Caribbean http://mrnussbaum.com/docrbArgh, matey! Practice your decimal skills with this fun game!
18. MangaHigh Rotational Symmetry game http://www.mangahigh.com/en-us/math_games/shape/symmetry/rotational_symmetryCheck out this game to practice rotational symmetry.
19. Illuminations Product Game http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=4213Work on your strategy skills and multiplication skills at the same time with this product game.
20. Illuminations Quotient Cafe Game http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=4197
Divide up plates of food for different creatures with this division game.
21. The Ghost Whisperer Problem http://flashlightcreative.net/swf/ghostwhisperer/Check out this link to see if you can figure out HOW the Ghost Whisperer Crystal Ball actually works. It's not magic.... it's algebra!
22. Illuminations Fractions http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3510
Check out this game to practice fraction concepts!23. Clara Fraction Ice Cream Shop http://mrnussbaum.com/clarafraction/Fulfill each order by changing each improper fraction to mixed numbers. Super Fun!
24. Mr. Nussbaum's Death to Decimals http://mrnussbaum.com/deathdecimals/Change the fractions to decimals before the decimal aliens take over the world! (I know, a little dramatic....)25. Illuminations Factor Game http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=4134Play against the computer to see if you can get the most points. Your job? Identify all the factors of a number!26. ABCYA Christmas Lights - A Holiday Math Game http://www.abcya.com/christmas_lights_holiday_game_for_kids.htmThis is a fun holiday game to work on all four operations to add holiday lights to a house. Oh what fun....!27. Sal's Sub Shop http://mrnussbaum.com/sal/This is a fun website to work on measurement in the U.S. Standard system.28. The Forty Frogs Game http://www.mathactivities.net/frogs.htmLog onto this game to practice fractions of a set.29. Online Geoboard https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/geoboard/This is a cool link to a geoboard you can use online!Science/Social Studies/Research sites:Visit this site to complete your Native American Homes web quest!!!
3. Chris Van Allsburg's Website https://hmhbooks.com/chrisvanallsburg/index.htmlThis link will take you straight to one very interesting author.... that's right! You know who it is!
4. Young People's Trust For The Environment - ALL ABOUT ANIMALS! http://www.ypte.org.uk/animal-facts.phpThis link has information on some unique animals!
5. Astronomy for Kids http://www.frontiernet.net/~kidpower/astronomy.html
6. Kid's Astronomy and the Solar System http://www.kidsastronomy.com/solar_system.htmUse this site to learn more about our sun and the planets in our solar system!
7. Windows to the Universe http://www.windows2universe.org/our_solar_system/solar_system.htmlVisit this site to research the planets or the sun!
8. The Food Blast-Off Game https://www.fns.usda.gov/apps/BlastOff/BlastOff_Game.htmlLog onto this game to practice putting together a day's worth of healthy meals!
9. Moon Phaseshttp://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html
See the current phase of the moon, as well as any other date in history. You can even see what the moon looked like when you were born!10. Moon Phase Challenge Game http://sciencenetlinks.com/interactives/moon/moon_challenge/moon_challenge.htmlNow that you've learned about the phases of the moon, play this game by placing the correct moon in the calendar spaces each month.11. Kids Web Japan http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/Learn about life in Japan.
12. Pennsylvania Game Commission http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=150321
Learn about endangered animals in Pennsylvania.
13. National Geographic Kids -Feature Creatures http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/Animals/CreatureFeature
This site has lots of cool information about many types of animals!
14. Kids Cyber http://www.kidcyber.com.au/Check out this site for fun information on animals, sports, people, places, and more!
15. Enchanted Learning http://www.EnchantedLearning.com/Home.html
This site is a great place to visit to learn more about many social studies and science topics. There are also printable activity books, maps, calendars, and even craft ideas to do at home.
16. Kids Planet http://www.kidsplanet.org
Want to know everything there could be to know about animals? Well, don't delay... visit this site!
17. PBS website http://www.pbskids.org
This website, sponsored by the Public Broadcasting System, has much morethan just information about its schedule of television programs. Learnabout Africa, history mysteries, and sports!
18. Social Studies for Kids http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/subjects/explorers.htm
This site is loaded with information about social studies.... and has a link for explorers!
19. Medieval Times & Explorers http://www.learner.org/exhibits/middleagesCheck out this page for information about medieval times - the time in history of the great explorers!
20. Animal Planet -A to Z animal categories http://animal.discovery.com/animals/wild-animal-guides.html
This page has tons of information on your favorite animal!
21. Animal Corner http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/
This is a great website out of the UK that's all about animals.
22. Science Kids http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/animals.html
This site has lots of information, however the link above will take you to information about lots of animals!
23. Ducksters http://www.ducksters.com
This site contains information about lots of kid-related topics.24. Sadako's Story http://www.hiroshima-is.ac.jp/index.php?page=sadako-storyThis site contains information about the life of Sadako Sasaki, the little girl who inspired the story, Sadako and The Thousand Paper Cranes.
25. Information about Nagasaki and the bombings during WWII http://www.city.nagasaki.lg.jp/peace/english/kids/touka.htmlCheck out this site to find out more information about Nagasaki city and the atomic bomb that was dropped during WWII.
26. Weather Wiz Kids http://www.weatherwizkids.comWhat would you like to learn about weather? This site has virtually EVERYTHING you would want to know, so check it out.
27. PBS Kids - WHOAHlercoaster http://pbskids.org/fetch/games/coaster/This is a fun site to check out on the use of potential and kinetic energy. And... you get to build a roller coaster, too! How cool!
28. The Official Eric Carle website http://www.eric-carle.com/home.htmlThis site is the place to visit to learn more about author and illustrator Eric Carle (You know... The Hungry Caterpillar, right?)29. Mozart's Magical Musical Life http://www.stringsmusicfestival.com/m2m/1once.htmUse this site to complete your Mozart sequencing activity with a friend. Click on the "hotlinks" throughout the site to hear different musical melodies.
30. Kevin's Build-A-Meal Game http://www.nourishinteractive.com/kids/healthy-games/6-kevins-build-a-meal-game-balanced-meals
31. Brain Pop - Simple Machines Game https://www.brainpop.com/games/simplemachinesgame/Check out this fun game about simple machines.
32. Classics for Kids site http://www.classicsforkids.com/Visit this fun site to learn more about some classical musicians and hear some of their music.33. What is Energy and Electricity? http://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/interactives/science/energy/what-is-energy/Visit this fun site to learn more about energy and electricity.
34. Ways to Use the Buffalo - Plains region information http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/kids/buffalo.html#Visit this link to see all the ways buffalo were used by American Indians in the past on the plains.
35. Latitude and Longitude game http://www.abcya.com/latitude_and_longitude_practice.htmThis is a fun game to practice your mapping skills!
36. Help Hannah Latitude and Longitude game http://www.kidsgeo.com/geography-games/latitude-longitude-map-game.phpIn Hannah's World, she gets lost a lot. Please help find which blue circle she is hiding behind!
37. Rock Hounds for Kids website http://www.rockhoundkids.comVisit this link to learn more about geology with a fun mineral gallery, videos and games.38. Virtual Tour of Philadelphia http://www.ushistory.org/tour/philmap.htmlVisit this link to learn more about the historic city of Philadelphia.
39. Geology for Kids https://kidsgeo.com/geology-for-kids/Click on this website to learn more about geology - the earth, volcanoes, soil and more.40. What Gemstone Are You?Click on this link to take a fun quiz and compare yourself and your personality to a gemstone. Mrs. White was an emerald!41. Simple Machines Game - Museum of Science and Industry Chicago https://www.msichicago.org/play/simplemachines/Visit this website to play a fun simple machines game and put your science knowledge to the test.
42. Dish It Out! Dim Sum Challenge https://pbskids.org/fetch/games/dishitout/game.htmlClick on this link to apply what you are learning about simple machines!