School Closings, Delays and Early Dismissals
In the event that weather conditions or other emergencies necessitate the closing of one or more schools in the district, information will be announced by the local radio/TV stations, through our App and on the district websites and social media. Families and staff are notified by the District through phone, email and/or text regarding any closings. For more information on how weather decisions are made please read this story.
Days lost for such reasons will be made up according to academic calendar.
Every year, SCASD families have a choice about when to receive district notifications in the morning about weather-related school delays or closings. Because of the new school start times introduced this fall, we now have two options — 5:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m — to receive a call, email and text. If you wish to change your designated time, you may do so. While you can change the time, you cannot opt out of the call.
To change your time:
- Click on the district Parent Portal/HAC link and log in.
- Press “weather call time” to choose when you wish to be notified — 5:30 a.m. or 6:30 a.m.
- Finally, to make sure your phone numbers are correct, press the registration button and then the edit button on the right side of your screen, and the numbers will appear. If there is incorrect information, follow the steps at this link.
- To receive SMS text alerts, you will need to enter a mobile phone number into the SMS field.
For an additional way of finding out about weather-related announcements, download the free SCASD App available in the App Store and on Google Play. Make sure you “allow notifications,” because that’s how weather alerts are communicated.
Also new this year, in addition to our normal 2-hour delay, we have added a 3-hour delay option. Because of the new longer elementary day, the 3-hour delay is now a viable choice during inclement weather. Please note: The 3-hour delay option is not preferred and will only be used in extreme situations.
2-hour delay schedule:
- Elementary begins 10:10 a.m.
- Secondary begins 10:40 a.m.
3-hour delay schedule:
- Elementary begins 11:10 a.m.
- Secondary begins 11:40 a.m.
If you are having problems logging into your account or changing your call time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.