About Mr. Tranell...
Jeffrey R. Tranell
Sixth Grade Teacher, Room 215
Communications Club / TV Production Advisor
PARK FOREST MIDDLE SCHOOL
State College, PA 16803
- 1996- Wyoming Valley West High School, Plymouth, PA
- 2000- The Pennsylvania State University, BS Elementary Education K-6 with honors
- 45 graduate credits in related fields
- 6th grade - Park Forest Middle School, 20th year
- Disc Jockey, Nittany Entertainment, 2006 - present
- Penn State Action Potential Science Camp teacher, 2007
- 4th-5th grade Summer Program teacher, 2005 & 2006
- 5th grade intern, 1999-2000, Park Forest Elementary School
- Intramural coaching, Corl St. and Park Forest Elementary Schools, 1998-2000, PFMS 2001- present
- Helping all students reach their potential
- Teaching the whole child, including ensuring students learn their responsibilities as a student and a citizen
- Making all students discover that they will like to read if they get the right books in their hands
- Local History, American History, and World Cultures
- Teaching students to become good writers, readers, listeners, and speakers; especially connecting students with "just right" books and making them realize that there's lots of great things out there to read, no matter what your experience so far!
- Making math meaningful to students
Philosophy: If you think you can, you will. If you think you can't, you won't. It's your choice. It's that simple. Believe in yourself!
- "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." -Albert Einstein
- “The man who does not read great books is no better than the man who can’t.” -Mark Twain
- " All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
- "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
- "I try the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep on going until the end." -Abraham Lincoln.
- "No legacy is so rich as honesty." -William Shakespeare
- "Because reading has more impact on students’ achievement than any other activity in school, setting aside time for reading must be the first activity we teachers write on our lesson plans, not the last."- Donalyn Miller in The Book Whisperer
- State College Area Education Association
- Pennsylvania State Education Association
- National Education Association
- Pennsylvania Association for Middle Level Education
- Penn State Alumni Association, Life Member
- Nittany Lion Club
- Good Shepard Roman Catholic Church and Choir
- Music of all sorts - especially listening to a variety of rock and country, singing, and playing the piano and keyboard. I DJ Weddings as a side job.
- The outdoors - especially hiking, bicycling, whitewater rafting, and biking
- Doing sports - tennis, rollerblading, skiing, golf, and basketball
- Watching sports - Penn State football and basketball, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins, Altoona Curve, State College Spikes
- Coaching- I most recently coached State College Little League T-Ball the 2015 & 2016 seasons. I also coached my sons' t-ball team at their preschool, Nittany Christian, and I coached my son's Centre Soccer teams in 2013 and 2016. I coached an Major League for Little League baseball team in Halfmoon Little League from 2001- 2007.
- I play softball for the St. Paul's Saints.
- Drawing - especially cityscapes
- Cooking and baking
- Walking with my family and playing with our Golden Retriever, Ella
My family along with my parentsMy wife, Jen, and me celebrating our 10th Anniversary in July, 2016Our Golden Retriever Puppy Ella in July 2016
- Married to the former Jennifer Bauer-Mt. Nittany Elementary (formerly Panorama) 1st grade teacher (now instructional coach at MNE and Radio Park)
- I love spending time, learning, and playing with my three sons: Nate, Nick, and Noah
- Younger sister Kim lives in Brooklyn and works as a writer and editor at Scholastic Magazines