State College Area High School
Department of Physical Education Units of Instruction
9th Grade PE Selective Physical Education10th- 12th gradeFitness & Exercise Science10th-12th Grade Lifeguarding (Must be 15 years old & pass swimming skills test) Health-Related Fitness Activities
- Aerobic Fitness (Step aerobics, spinning, running,etc.)
- Muscular Fitness (resistance bands, bands, strength equipment, etc.)
- Flexibility (Yoga, Pilates)
Water Safety and Aquatics
Outdoor Adventure & Pursuits
- Basic swimming skills
- Water Polo/Deep Water Basketball
- Survival skills: treading
- Cooperative water games
- Team Building
- Boating/Boat Safety
Students will have the opportunity to choose different activities throughout the semester from the following strands:
- LIFETIME ACTIVITIES: Activities may include yoga, dance, mountain biking, martial arts fitness and adventure (Activities may include wall climbing, high ropes courses, and belaying).
- TEAM SPORTS: Activities may include lacrosse, basketball, softball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, tchoukball, handball, and floor hockey.
- DUAL / INDIVIDUAL SPORT: Activities may include tennis, badminton, pickleball, archery, and fencing.
- PERSONAL FITNESS: This strand is based out of the SouthSide Fitness Center. Activities include instruction on various types of strength training & cardiovascular exercises, program design, and goal setting. Students can obtain their SouthSide Fitness Center certification in this strand.
Introduction to Personal Training
Intro. Anatomy & Kinesiology
- Importance of the Field & Profession of Personal Training
- Basics of Exercise Science & Goal Setting
Strength & Conditioning Training/Program Design
- Exercise Physiology
Exercise NutritionClient Performance Program Design & Implementation
- Advanced Program Design
- Special Populations
- Comprehensive Program Design
- The Professional Lifeguard and Facility Safety
- Facility Safety, Patron Surveillance and Injury Prevention
- Injury Prevention and Rescue Skills
- Before Providing Care, Victim Assessment and Breathing Emergencies
- Cardiac Emergencies and Using an Automated External Defibrillator
- First Aid
- Head, Neck and Spinal Injuries in the Water
Adapted Physical Education is offered every semester. It is taught in the SouthSide Fitness Center.