Placement Testing Procedures
Why take a placement test?
It is the goal of the World Languages Department to help our students to continually improve their language skills.
We can accomplish this goal by assuring that all students are registered for the course that is most suited to their current skill level.
Who should take a placement test?
1. Students who enter the State College Area School District with previous experience in a
2. Students who participate in a summer experience that could allow them to advance to a
higher level within our curriculum.*
a. Examples of such experiences include:
i. Concordia Language Villages
ii. The Middlebury Summer Language Institute
iii. Johns Hopkins Language Immersion Programs
iv. Millersville Summer Language Camps.
3. Students who have lived in a country where the language is spoken OR students who are
4. Students who think they may not be registered for the correct course.
When are placement tests given?
1. We will offer placement testing each August before the school year begins.Placement testing for 2013 will be announced.2. Testing will be offered during the school year on an “as needed” basis for students whoregister with the school district.When will students and parents know the results?1. Placement test results will be shared with students and parents as soon as they are available.2. Based on the results, teachers will make a recommendation for placement within the StateCollege Area School District World Languages curriculum.3. The recommendation is made by a professional educator who knows the curriculum. Thegoal in placing students is to make sure their current educational needs are met.If you are planning to take a placement test in August, please register in advance by filling out this form. When you register, you will be asked to provide information about your previous language experiences so that we can prepare an appropriate placement test. After we have received your registration, a teacher will reach out to you. If you have any questions, please contact the World Languages Department Coordinator:Amanda ShowersWorld Languages Coordinator650 Westerly ParkwayState College, PA firstname.lastname@example.org*Please note: When scheduling for the next school year, you should sign up for the language course that is next in sequence. If, after completing a summer language experience, you are able to place out of the next course in sequence, your schedule will be changed at that time.
Last Modified on June 20, 2018