Welcome to Park Forest Elementary School
A caring community of learners connecting our learning to the world outside.
Home of the PFE Penguins
Our school community includes 484 students with approximately 100 staff members, including 51 teachers, 46 support staff and 7 PSU interns, supporting them. We are one of nine elementary schools in the State College Area School District.
Our school features
- 20:1 classroom teacher to student ratio.
- Instructional assistants in all K-2 classrooms.
- An instructional support specialist, reading specialist and ESL teacher.
- Special education support for students with an Individual Education Program.
- Guidance counselor and school psychologist.
- Full nursing services.
- Librarians and comprehensive libraries that support the reading curriculum.
- Instructional technology (1-to-1 Initiative, each student has a device for instruction).
- Appealing, nutritious breakfasts and lunches.
- 41% more resources allocated per student than local charter schools.
Our teachers district wide
- Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) test scores rank in the 95th percentile nationally out of 26 million students.
- Grades 2-6 students surpassed statewide assessment test score averages by 15-25% in 2016.Updated K-5 English Language Arts curriculum.
- New K-5 Math curriculum.
- Multiple National Association of Music Merchants Best Communities for Music Education awards for superior programs.
- Elementary artwork showcased at annual K-12 Art Show on Penn State campus.
Unique collorabations with Penn State University
- 16 years on average in education
- 12 years on average with the district
- 54 percent hold advanced degrees
- 15 with Ph.Ds
- PDS Program — 36 percent of elementary classrooms have a College of Ed. intern co-teaching with a mentor teacher all year.
- Partners in Music Program — Penn State music students conduct fifth grade musicians.
- Penn State Extension Master Gardener Program — Certified Master Gardeners assist with school gardens and horticulture programs.
- Penn State faculty assist with curriculum development research.