Intramural sports are available for all fourth and fifth graders at GW. We offer these as after school activities to enrich the students' athletic experience.
Intramural activities in our district provide opportunities for competition and recreational physical activities at the elementary level. Intramural activities are conducted within our school district and do not involve events with other school districts. No physical is needed and there is no cost for most sports. (Cost associated with Bowling and Skiing)
Intramural activities usually run from 3:15 pm - 4:45 pm. Students must be picked up by 4:45 pm, or they may walk or ride a bike home with written permission. Participation is optional for each season. (However, a 50% participation rate is requirement to attend our two district tournaments) Behavior expectations are high, and teamwork and sportsmanship are emphasized. As part of the district athletics program, we adopt the same core mission:
To positively impact the lives of others,
we will develop and support a premier athletic program
built on a tradition of integrity and excellence,
upholding high academic, social, and athletic standards
POSITIVE PERFORMANCE PATHWAY
Know and do the right thing
Do it with relentless effort
Do it with compassion and care for others
- Participation forms must be handed in for each sport prior to joining that intramural offering.
- Students need to be picked up promptly at the end of practice. Repeated failure to do so may make the student ineligible for participation.
- Participation in the State College Elementary Intramural Program is a privilege. Students are expected to respect the rights of others and follow the instructions/rules of the Instructors/Coaches for their safety and that of the other children.
- If a child fails to behave properly,
- First offense: a written notice must go home for a Parent or Guardian signature.
- Second offense: suspension from all Intramural activities offered for the year.IM Sessions may need to be cancelled on some occasions due to weather or scheduling conflicts. We will attempt to contact you as soon as we are aware of the cancellation.
There is a district-wide form that is standard for each activity. This form will be emailed home periodically by the classroom teachers and/or Principal. Extra forms are also located in the school office or can be found at the following link: 2019/20 General IM Permission Form
It is inevitable that intramurals will be affected by either school cancellations, early dismissals, or lack of coaches at some point throughout the year. Because of this, we need to ask everyone's flexibility in this regard. If there is no school on a scheduled intramural day, then there will be no intramurals that day either. Similarly, if there is an early dismissal for any reason, there will also be no intramurals that day. Every attempt will be made to notify parents of any other last minute changes to intramural schedules. If intramurals are canceled for any other reason, an announcement will be posted on our school's website, an email will be sent to you from Dr. Dewitt (if available to do so), and your child will be given time to call you to inform you of this change in plans.
If you have any questions, please be in touch.
GW Intramural Coordinator