The District is currently seeking State College Borough approval to install 70-foot lights at the State High South Track facility.
Benefits of 70-foot lights
Having taller lights at the track would enable the district to:
- Conduct consistent marching band rehearsals.
- Provide flexibility for athletic practices and competitions.
- Avoid parking challenges in the north parking lot.
- Expand our window of time for use during months with shorter days.
Impact of the field remaining unlighted
Currently, the district does not have an adequate facility outside of the South Track to accommodate the marching band with its more than 200 members. If the track is not utilized, the marching band would be faced with its only rehearsal option: returning to a parking lot that would simultaneously be used for parking for the high school campus as well as the north athletic field. Cars remaining in the lot would create inefficient spaces for marching and challenges in conducting rehearsals.
Furthermore, the marching band receives instruction and stores equipment in the rear of the new high school on the south side of the campus. In order to use the north parking lot, students would be required to carry their equipment and instruments from the back of the south building to the north parking lot, across Westerly Parkway. This raises logistical and safety concerns for the students.
- Student practices and competitive events would need to end earlier if lighted fields are not available, or when we experience wet field conditions.
- This impact is in direct opposition to the district strategic plan for every student to engage in activities outside of the traditional school day.
- Pedestrian and parking conflicts as well as safety issues while hosting athletic events would arise if the band needs to use the parking lot for rehearsal.
- An unlit field restricts which athletic events can be hosted at the South Track.
Below is a timeline of events along with links to presentations and documents
Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Request Sept. 6, 2018
Board of Directors Meeting Request Sept. 24, 2018
State College Borough Request Nov. 1, 2018
State College Planning Commission Request Dec. 5, 2018 (rescheduled from Nov. 28, 2018)
Presentation to Neighborhood Residents Jan. 14, 2019
State College Planning Commission Presentation Feb. 5, 2019
Board of Directors Presentation Feb. 18, 2019
State College Planning Commission Presentation Feb. 21, 2019 (Attached slides)