• Frequently Asked Questions:

    Who can I talk to concerning Special Education in the State College Area School District?

    Each building principal is aware of the procedure for obtaining special education services. You may also contact the Special Education Office at (814) 231-1072/4172.

    Where can I get copies of the regulations pertaining to Special Education?

    A copy of the special education regulations and standards may be obtained by writing the Bureau of Special Education or by calling the main number (717) 783-6913.

    What is an IEP?

    An IEP is an Individualized Education Program and is the written plan for the education of a student who has a disability. The IEP is based on the individual student's needs and describes the special help the student will receive in school.

    Are parents involved in the Special Education process?

    Parents play a key role in determining the programs and services with which their child will be provided. Parents are encouraged to participate in all aspects of the determination of the appropriateness of their child's special education.

    What is a Special Education placement?

    A "placement" refers to the actual class and school a special education student attends where the student receives his or her special education program, and the type and intensity of services needed.

    How long will SCASD maintain Special Education Records?
    Special Education records which have been collected by the State College Area School District (SCASD) related to the identification, evaluation, educational placement, or the provision of Special Education in the district, must be maintained under state and federal laws for a period of seven years after Special Education services have ended for the student.  Special education services end when the student no longer is eligible for services, graduates, completes his or her educational program at age 21, or moves from the district.

    This notification is to inform parents/guardians and former students of SCASD’s intent to destroy the Special Education records of students who are no longer receiving Special Education services for at least seven (7) years beyond the age of twenty-one (21).  This would include records for individuals whose birth year is 1986 or earlier.  These records will be destroyed in accordance with state law unless the parent/guardian or eligible (adult) student notifies the school district otherwise.
    After seven (7) years, the records are no longer useful to the district, but they may be useful to the parent/guardian or former student in applying for Social Security benefits, rehabilitation services, college entrance, etc.  The parent/guardian or eligible (adult) student may request a copy of the records in writing or in person at the following address:

    240 Villa Crest Drive                                                                                                                                                  
    State College, PA 16801

    How can I arrange a classroom and/or program visitation?

    The State College Area School District (“District”) encourages parents and guardians to make informed decisions about the programs and services recommended for, or to which the District has assigned, their children.

    Click here to read ->  Classroom Visitation Guidelines
Last Modified on March 17, 2017