FITNESS CENTER CERTIFICATION
All students must be fitness certified before they can use the Fitness Center after school. The certification provides students with basic knowledge of fitness theory along with practical exercise skills. The fitness lessons themselves consist of classroom lecture as well as demonstrations, practical instruction and application in the Fitness Center.
Physical Education Certification:
The certification is offered in 9th grade PE, 10th-12th grade Selective PE classes or by signing up for after school classes (a fee is required for the after-school class).
- Any exercise training that the student may have done with parties outside the school, while offering valuable experience, will not be considered a substitute for the high school's PE fitness curriculum or certification.
Fitness Center Pre-certification: Students who have not yet obtained certification and would like to participate at the Fitness Center with their athletic team or as part of the Fitness Club must take the Pre-certification course which is offered through the Department of Community Education.
Important: Students who pass the Pre-certification course prior to earning certification in 9th grade PE class will earn fitness center participation privileges, but these students must subsequently pass the required certification in PE class in order to retain those privileges. Also, any student that will be entering 9th grade can take the pre-certification class beginning in June.
All students who are already certified will retain their fitness certification, however they do need to complete and submit an updated permission form to the Fitness Center to continue to use the facilities in the new school year.
Pre-certification courses will be offered several times throughout the school year. Information about the after-school certification course schedule will be disseminated in the following ways:
- Announcement by the Department of Community Education.
- Postings on the Fitness Center website: www.scasd.org/fitnesscenter.
- Broadcast through the high school morning announcements.
- Promotion by the Athletic Department and in PE/Health classes.
(Updated: Aug 10, 2018)