Employer Reference InformationMandated Clearances InformationChild Labor Laws InformationU.S. Department of Labor - Hazard Order Occupations (exemptions)
What are Hazardous Occupations Orders (HOs)?
Non-agricultural HOs are regulations that prohibit 16- and 17-year-olds from performing certain types of work that the Secretary of Labor has deemed hazardous for minors. There are currently 17 non-agricultural HOs:
- HO 1: Manufacturing or storage occupations involving explosives.
- HO 2: Motor vehicle operations.
- HO 3: Coal mine occupations.
- HO 4: Forestry occupations, logging, and sawmilling.
- HO 5: Power-driven woodworking machine operations.
- HO 6: Radioactive substances.
- HO 7: Power-driven hoisting apparatus occupations.
- HO 8: Power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machine occupations.
- HO 9: Occupations in mining, other than coal.
- HO 10: Slaughtering, meat and poultry packing, processing, and rendering.
- HO 11: Power-driven bakery machine occupations.
- HO 12: Power-driven balers, compactors, and paper products machines.
- HO 13: Brick, tile, and kindred products.
- HO 14: Power-driven circular saws, band saws, guillotine shears, chain saws, reciprocating saws, wood chippers, and abrasive cutting discs.
- HO 15: Wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking operations.
- HO 16: Roofing operations and work on or about a roof.
- HO 17: Excavation operations.
Vocational Education Programs Offered in Partnership with Businesses
Are there any exemptions to the HOs that may apply when students become employees of a business?
Yes. Below are the seven non-agricultural HOs that have exemptions for Apprentices and Student-Learners enrolled in vocational education programs that meet the requirements set forth in 29 C.F.R. §§ 570.50(b) or (c):
OSHA - Youth Workers Safety in RestaurantsWorker's Compensation Information
- HO 5: Power-driven woodworking machines
- HO 8: Power-driven metal-forming, punching and shearing machines
- HO 10: Power-driven meat-processing machines, slaughtering and meat packing plants
- HO 12: Balers, compactors, and power-driven paper-products machines—
- HO 14: Power-driven circular saws, band saws, guillotine shears, chain saws, reciprocating saws, wood chippers, and abrasive cutting discs
- HO 16: Roofing operations and work performed on or about a roof
- HO 17: Trenching and excavation operations