Return to Headlines
Read-A-Thon Timeline (compiled Jan 2015)
- Confirm dates.
- Submit PTO December newsletter blurb.
- Submit PTO January newsletter article.
- Edit handouts (instructions, pledge log, book log).
- Confirm book fair funds for prize gift certificates.
- Have principal and PTO president review the handouts.
- Send web documents to webmaster (pdf copies of handouts, announcement).
- Coordinate with principal and with designated class for student dialogues. (Get permission to do as part of announcements, find an interested teacher – e.g., your own child's class.)
- Write student dialogues for Read-A-Thon week (ask librarian to send out reading query to teachers) and give to teacher by Friday before.
- Copy handouts for entire school (get numbers from office). Copy at SCASD copy center: cover sheet colored, logs white (https://www.scasd.org/Page/1172). Distribute w/ cover sheet to teacher mailboxes on Wednesday before Read-A-Thon (Jan 14, 2015).
- Thursday before: send email announcement through room parents, including link to web documents.
- If desired, help students rehearse dialogues (Monday-Monday).
- Send email reminder through room parents: Tuesday or Wednesday (tag onto Read-In reminder).
- Make thermometer for pledge/book gauge (for after Read-A-Thon).
- Sunday: send email through room parents: end of Read-A-Thon reading, collection period begins.
- Beginning Monday: collect pledges/logs from PTO box; compile them in spreadsheet (keep all papers and money together through collection).
- Every day: update thermometer (outside cafeteria).
- Wednesday: send email reminder to teachers – please turn in pledges/book logs to PTO box (we're updating thermometer daily).
- Thursday: announcement on thermometer status (pages and pledges, class competition).
- Thursday: send email through room parents: pledges and book logs due Monday.
- Monday: send email reminder to teachers to turn in pledges (and/or visit classrooms to get)
- 2nd Wednesday-Friday: announcement and email results. Thank all parents, teachers, and students.
- Print and distribute gift and participation certificates within 1 week of pledge deadline.
- Joanna Carlson has electronic documents
- 2016: these were taped to a new pencil as a “flag”
- Give money to PTO treasurer for deposit.
- Arrange for ice cream party with winning classroom (simple: cones, several flavors, sprinkles)
- Prepare follow-up summary for March PTO meeting.
- Write March PTO follow-up newsletter article.