Board Work Session Agenda/Minutes 9-16-13

The approved minutes are posted below the agenda. All attachments are PDFs.
 
Agenda
September 16, 2013 Board Work Session
7:00 pm – Board Room
131 W. Nittany Avenue
State College, PA 16801

I. Call to order and Pledge of Allegiance

II. Proposed Development Fundraiser for Memorial Field Sidewalk
(attachment II)

III. Facilities: High School Project
(attachment III-A thru F on Memo)
  • A. Meeting Goals (attachment)
  • B. Educational Specifications (attachment)
    • Process used to develop draft Educational Specifications
    • Comparison with 2009 educational specifications
    • Size of Spaces (Beddia & Admin)
  • C. Option Development
    • Application of Educations
    • Site Analysis Overview
    • Site Challenges/Design Considerations
        • -building location/footprint/functions
        • -site access and circulation
        • -parking (required, desired, minimum needed)
        • -parking lot size(s) and layout (efficient vs. aesthetic)
        • -athletic fields
        • -storm water
    • Ed Spec adaptation to floor plan
    • New versus renovation
  • D. Forum Reflection
IV. Public Comment

V. Adjournment
 

September 16, 2013 Board Work Session IV-A 7:00 pm – Board Room 131 W. Nittany Avenue State College, PA 16801

 

I.    Call to order and Pledge of Allegiance

Penni Fishbaine, board president, called the work session to order at 7:00 p.m. She welcomed and thanked all in attendance and those viewing from home. With the agenda before them, she asked board members if anyone had any changes; there were no changes. Ms. Fishbaine noted that Public Comment was at the end of the work session agenda.
 

A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion and/or action is included with the official minutes, unless otherwise indicated.

 

Board members present: Amber Concepcion, Penni Fishbaine, David Hutchinson, Jim Leous, Ann McGlaughlin, Jim Pawelczyk, Gowen Roper, Dorothea Stahl (joined the meeting at 7:53 p.m.), Laurel Zydney (joined the meeting at 7:09 pm)
Board members absent:

Board Secretary: Mary Jenn Dorman

Solicitor: Scott Etter
Superintendent: Robert O’Donnell
District Personnel: Randy Brown, Scott DeShong, Linda Eggebeen, Julie Miller, Ed Poprik, Wilda Stanfield
Guests: John Beddia, Scott Fozard, Mark Higgins, Matt Morgan, Greg Woodman

 

II.    Proposed Development Fundraiser for Memorial Field Sidewalk

Mr. Brown introduced Greg Woodman to discuss the Memorial Field brick sidewalk. The bricks would be purchased in memory or honor of someone. Board members received a copy of the proposal from Inffinity Connection prior to the meeting for review and discussion and the item will be brought back on the September 23 meeting for action.

 

Mr. Woodman spoke on the development of a strategy, creating a theme, and reviewed all he would help with including the cost to the district for this relationship for Brick Program Solicitation Mailing, Centre Daily Times Ad, Donation Processing and Database Storage/Maintenance, and Website Services. Mr. Brown noted that the CAC for Finance members have seen the draft and some were involved in working on this. He explained the district will need to obtain zoning approval for this project and Ms. Watson was not present this evening due to attending the Borough meeting to observe another individual requesting zoning approval.

 

Board members discussed: The money from this fundraising would be put back into Memorial Field for improvements, the mailing being done by the district, there will be another document coming for further explanation, the database of donors will come back to the district to own, currently the alumni have 7,000 addresses to promote campaign, all databases will be combined into one, the website services and being done through the district, and the capability of updating record information.

 

III.    Facilities: High School Project Meeting Goals

Dr. O’Donnell noted that the Board work session conversations would focus on two goals:

   ● The process that has occurred to develop the draft educational specifications document to this point

   ● Understanding the option development process moving forward


Both John Beddia from Crabtree Rohrbaugh and Matt Harlow from the ELA Group will include information regarding the decisions the board will need to make to provide direction to the design team.

 

Educational Specifications

*Process used to develop Draft Educational Specifications:
Mr. Hardy reviewed a calendar of events month-by-month that began July 12, 2012 through April 13, 2013 regarding the actions and outcomes for the Educational Specifications. He noted that the process was done with Brainspaces, the building leadership team, Crabtree Rohrbaugh Associates, board members, a cross section of the student body, faculty and administrators.
 

*Comparison with 2009 Educational Specifications:

Mr. DeShong reviewed the work done through June, July, and August of 2013 to have initial assumptions for schematic designs. With various information shared, adjustments were done. Mr. Poprik added with the document of 2009, there was general discussion how the building could be organized and how to use the spaces. The current and previous Educational Specifications Programs are very similar with being the close to the same size building.

 

Dr. Etter left the meeting at 7:32 p.m.

 

*Size of Spaces

Mr. Poprik explained there were five Learning Communities and the size is based on the number of students sitting in those communities every given period, not the number in the Learning Community. Mr. Beddia spoke on a typical program for the number of students, building codes, facility functioning, developing a program that is ours, schematic design speaks to the program, Option D2 and establishing a cost, how the spaces do function, and should expect it to look very different than what we currently have.

 

Board members discussed: the summary page and numbers, are we at low/medium or high, PDE and guidelines for utilizing building space, the demographic study and number of students staying the same for about 10 years, the size of the classrooms, PDE looks at 25 students in a classroom as a general rule, how the flexibility works with different sizes, numbers being different for the different Learning Communities, spaces being associated with Learning Communities, maybe in a “community” setting the greater part of the day, the Arts, spaces are partnered with one specific but also to all communities, no science labs shown, looking at graduation requirements, currently both of the auditoriums are frequently booked, a black box theater, the capacity for a theater of other schools our size, need to do this right, many have looked at this and are OK with having this the way it is, square footage related to the cost of the project, knowing what people in the community want, being respectful of them, experience what students/teachers are living now, main core learning on the South side, the actual footprint of this building, and the pool and gymnasiums are remaining on the North side.

 

Board members took a break from 8:40 to 8:48 p.m.

 

Option Development

*Process Review
Mr. Beddia spoke on the concept/option D2, understanding the current project, the Educational Program, taking the program and developing a schematic design, including Delta, the Ed Spec adaptation to a floor plan, and reviewed the floor plan of how a core Learning Community would look to support the guiding principles.


*Site Analysis and Challenges

Mr. Harlow reviewed the site analysis of Westerly Parking South side showing the slope, which has a cost factor and you need to be able to work with them, ADA accessibility, needing to align things up, all the streets are arterial streets and have specific requirements and certain design requirements, bus access, the 106 parking spaces for Welch Pool agreement, there are four zoning districts on the campus, athletic fields, the storm water detention and the Westerly Parkway reservoir, and 650 parking spaces now and needing 1,000 parking spaces with the size of the new building.

 

On the North side, the district can explore thinking about athletic fields and wanting to do something there. The design team will need feedback.

 

Board members discussed: how guiding principles will be implemented, the day lighting and challenge going through the South building, the schematic design with the scope clear and cost, a specific floor plan, the design development with specifics of each space, all major designs being complete, and then go into bidding. We need a cycle of meetings and need to have these to plan, 246 days to referendum, the budget is married to the final plan, need to know amount of parking, the fate of the North side, and how much that remains on the North side affects storm water, need a process for decisions to be made, a discussion with all stakeholders, traffic on Westerly Parkway, roundabouts, South being core academic side, why the amount of square feet for demolition, types of spaces for renovation verses new, two buildings on the South side, aligning and having Plaza Drive go straight through, still need access to O’Bryan Lane for bus access, time to be sticking to the option, core on one side of the street and one building. Need to brainstorm what can happen on the North side, North will not impact South side, need to think about for planning purposes, if vacating Fairmount Avenue where would they logically go, enough of square feet for what is in Fairmount Avenue currently, and a variance on parking for reduction and framing out what is possible.
 

*Forum Reflection

Dr. O’Donnell noted that the main focus of the Community Forum that was held on September 11 was on the Educational Specifications and Scott DeShong provided a very thorough review regarding the Ed Model.

 

Board member noted the opportunities to be on the radio and people need to work with Ms. Miller or Ms. Stanfield. The Referendum vote is NOT “party” related so a non-affiliated party voter can show up and vote for the Referendum item only.

 

The Board Subcommittee for Communications will meet tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. in the board room and will be addressing items with Mike Paston.

 

IV.    Adjournment

Ms. Stahl moved and Ms. Concepcion seconded to adjourn the meeting. All board members present voted aye with a voice vote. Ms. Fishbaine adjourned the meeting at 10:09 p.m. to an executive session on student discipline.

 

Submitted by,

 

 
Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary