Board Meeting Agenda/Minutes 8-11-14

All attachments in pdf
 
August 11, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
7:00 p.m. - Board Room
131 W. Nittany Avenue
State College, PA 16801

I. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

II. COMMUNICATIONS


III. PUBLIC COMMENT (Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.)

IV. ROUTINE APPROVALS
A motion to approve the listing of Routine Approvals as presented:
A. July 28, 2014 Board Meeting Minutes (attachment IV-A)
B. School District Bills for July 2014 (attachment IV-B)
C. Bid Award for Food Service Beverage Vending to Coca-Cola Enterprises as presented (attachment IV-C)
D. Human Resource Recommendations with Addendum (attachment IV-D)

V. ACTION ITEMS
A. A motion to approve the Construction Manager contract as presented at the July 28 board meeting. (Memo and attachment V-A
)

VI. INFORMATION/DISCUSSION
A. District Goal Category: Student Learning
       Strategic Planning Update: Evaluation of Learning Enrichment & Gifted Services (attachment VI-A)(PowerPoint)
B. District Goal Category: Facilities
       State High Project Update
       PlanCon Discussion to include Board action to authorize Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates to complete the District-wide Facilities Master Plan update. (attachment VI-B1)
       Communication Discussion (attachment VI-B2)
C. District Goal Category: Fiscal Stewardship
       Privacy Protection Insurance Policy as presented and discussed at the July 28 board meeting. (attachment VI-C1)
       Draft Policy 620 - Fund Balance (attachment VI-C2)
D. District Goal Category: Safety
       Policy 810.2 – Transportation Audio and Video Recording (attachment VI-D)
E. Draft Accountant Job Description (attachment VI-E)
F. PSBA School Leadership Conference and Voting Delegates

VII. FUTURE AGENDA PLANNING
August 25, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
**Action Items
Privacy Protection Insurance
**Information/Discussion
District Goal Category: Facilities
       High School Project Planning Update
       High School Project Reimbursement Resolution
Centre County Vo-Tech Authority
Non-Affiliated Employee Handbooks

September 8, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
**Action Items
Draft Policy 620 - Fund Balance
Draft Policy 810.2 - Transportation Audio and Video Recording
**Information/Discussion
District Goal Category: Facilities
       High School Project Planning Update

September 22, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
**Action Items
**Information/Discussion
District Goal Category: Facilities
       High School Project Planning Update
       High School Project Communication Update

October 13, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
**Action Items
**Information/Discussion
 District Goal Category: Facilities
       High School Project - Review 30% documents

October 27, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
**Action Items
**Information/Discussion

November 3, 2014 - Work Session on HS Project
**Action Items
**Information/Discussion
 District Goal Category: Facilities
       Review of October 29 Community Questions and Feedback to 30% Project Design

November 10, 2014 - Regular Board Meeting
**Action Items
Approve 30% documents and comments
Approve Plaza Drive option
Approve Plancon A/B
**Information/Discussion

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

Minutes
August 11, 2014 Regular Board Meeting
7:00 p.m. - Board Room
131 W. Nittany Avenue
State College, PA 16801

I. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Ms. Fishbaine called the Regular Board Meeting of the State College Area School District Board of Directors to order at 7:00 p.m. She welcomed all attending and those viewing from home. She noted that Mr. Leous was connected by phone. She announced that the Board held an executive session prior to the meeting on negotiations. With the agenda before them, Ms. Fishbaine asked board members for any changes, there were no changes.

A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion and/or action is included with the official minutes, unless otherwise indicated.

Board members present: Penni Fishbaine, Scott Fozard, David Hutchinson, Mr. Leous (connected by phone), Ann McGlaughlin, Jim Pawelczyk, Dorothea Stahl, Laurel Zydney
Board members absent: Amber Concepcion
Board Secretary: Mary Jenn Dorman
Solicitor: Scott Etter
Superintendent: Robert O’Donnell
District Personnel: Sheila Abruzzo, Deirdre Bauer, Randy Brown, Scott DeShong, Mike Hardy, Jeanne Knouse, Jacque Martin, Julie Miller, Jason Perrin, Ed Poprik, Nicole Steele, Donna Watson, Nick Zepp
Guests: Shawn Annarelli, Tom McKee

II. COMMUNICATIONS
Dr. O’Donnell announced the first day of school for the 2014-2015 school year is August 26. This Thursday, August 14, is induction for all new teachers to the district and opening day with all faculty and paraprofessionals is next Tuesday, August 19. All are looking forward to kicking off the school year.

III. ROUTINE APPROVALS
A motion to approve the listing of Routine Approvals as presented:
--July 28, 2014 Board Meeting Minutes
--School District Bills for July 2014
--Bid Award for Food Service Beverage Vending to Coca-Cola Enterprises as presented
--Human Resource Recommendations (Refer to attachment IV-D)

Ms. Stahl moved and Dr. Pawelczyk seconded to approve the Routine Approvals as presented. All board members present voted aye on a roll call vote. Ms. Fishbaine, Dr. Pawelczyk, and Ms. Stahl abstained from Item IV-A in the Routine Approvals due to not being present at the meeting. The motion passed unanimously.

(Mr. Leous was connected by phone and Ms. Concepcion was absent.)

IV. CONSTRUCTION MANAGER CONTRACT
A motion to approve the Construction Manager contract as presented at the July 28 board meeting. Ms. Stahl moved and Mr. Fozard seconded to approve the motion. Board members discussed: the communication planning as well, updates for the board, and fee schedules. Mr. Poprik added that during the construction period of the project, there will be monthly updates to the Board and the maximum amount is set at $2.4 million but they show a monthly billing cost and if the project were completed sooner, the cost would be less.

With the motion to approve the Construction Manager contract as presented at the July 28 board meeting moved and seconded, all board members present voted aye on a roll call vote. The motion passed unanimously. (Mr. Leous was connected by phone and Ms. Concepcion was absent.)

V. DISTRICT GOAL CATEGORY: STUDENT LEARNING
Strategic Planning Update: Evaluation of Learning Enrichment & Gifted Services
Dr. O’Donnell noted that we would like to get a little better over the next three years. Stakeholders were brought together. We have some talented students and want to be respectful to all students. Ms. Knouse reported that this was not a requirement but the highest priority that we want to do. We had gifted/talented learning folks from UVA and the PDE Audit that we will look at together to see how things align. Dr. O’Donnell thanked Ms. Knouse and her staff for working through this.

Ms. Knouse noted that she consolidated the two reports and reviewed the lay out with recommendations made, goals and timeline. She discussed commendations, PDE and UVA side-by-side, and if nothing is on one side, it means that issue was not discussed. She spoke on PDE recommendations, corrective actions, things we need to go by, the need to work with K-5 the most but will actually be K-12, and this needs completed by June 12, 2015. Board members discussed: Board Policy, LE and GS in the same policy but need clear separate boundary for each, UVA recommendations, nothing we have to do, look at what we want to do and really should do #1 - Refine, good job that this was done, ideas here could be transmitted to others in district, goals and timeline, policies are in line with what they are working on, appreciate we went through this process, good stepping stone, great commendations in this, the difference between LE and GS, the high school connects teachers and resources, the expectations of our community, important the reports are online, and staffing play into this. Dr. O’Donnell added they would be going back to stakeholder committee, allow people to participate more, and engage parents better. There are more tools to put into place, having the form provided clarity, and Ms. Knouse added that surveys were done with parents in the spring and the feedback was good.

Mr. Leous disconnected at 7:44 p.m.

VI. DISTRICT GOAL CATEGORY: FACILITIES - State High Project Update
PlanCon Discussion to include Board action to authorize Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates to complete the District-wide Facilities Master Plan update

Mr. Poprik noted with the expiration of the moratorium, would allow the district to apply for PlanCon reimbursement for the high school project. We do not know when the reimbursement would happen but could be in the $5 to $6 million range. The current feasibility study was done in conjunction with the District-Wide Facility Master Plan (DWFMP) in 2009. In the original contract approved for CRA on September 10, 2012, there was a line item to complete the DWFMP update to meet PlanCon requirements for the high school project at a price not to exceed $59,000. We are asking the Board to authorize this portion of the contract to begin the process approval for PlanCon A and B at the November 10 meeting. Mr. Poprik noted that no Act 34 Hearing was needed due to passing the referendum, PlanCon will not impact the bid date, phase bidding will not be beneficial for the project, phase permitting will be helpful, and the process for 2016-2017 feasibility study. We will be looking for authorization at the August 25 board meeting.

Board members discussed: Probability of PlanCon funding is high, matter of when we get the money more than will we get the money, the submission date on the feasibility study triggers time for two-year window, PlanCon has A, B, D, E, F, G submissions, timeline for reimbursement, SCASD is on the list for reimbursement three and a half years ago, hoping to move dirt next summer, the elementary plan and information needed, Fairmount Avenue building plans, for the amount of money the product that we will get, master planning efforts to meet feasibility study, updating the 2009 study and making it current, the high school project is the most pressing need, and thanked Mr. Poprik for the information.

Communication Discussion
Dr. O’Donnell noted there has been a lot of work done to date and now, how we communicate information pertaining to the high school project during the 2014-2015 school year. It will be a pre-construction communication framework. He reflected on project goals, communication goals, actions, and the tentative schedule for the 30% design review outlined in the document. Education Specifications comes through Mr. DeShong, Mr. Poprik handles communications from the design team, and Ms. Miller the media.

Board members discussed: elementary schools and LEED plan, need to remember this communication is different than the referendum, this is an update, a push vs. pull, construction cameras, project documents, presentations, electronic mailing list, people can always come to Board meetings, disagrees that it is a different process, the important aspect is to communicate continuation of process, looking forward to the future, build on enthusiasm, transparency, pride should hopefully help engaging people, the same yet different, everyone is served by the high school, and it is a bigger project and everyone benefits.

Board members took a break from 8:32 to 8:39 p.m.

VII. DISTRICT GOAL CATEGORY: FISCAL STEWARDSHIP
Privacy Protection Insurance Policy as presented and discussed at the July 28 board meeting.

Mr. Brown noted that both Ms. Steele and Mr. Zepp spoke with him on this issue and they were also present tonight along with Tom McKee for further discussion. Mr. McKee provided a handout for board members with three options and two additional options that were not on the original attachment. With an organization our size, the additional options show liability and data breach fund increases. Mr. McKee spoke on the option limits being higher, reference person to cost, Option 2 compared to Option 4 – additional premium of $2,000, and recommended Option 5 – noting that it closely matched what the district has on other protections.

Board members discussed: What differentiates your data and privacy, Breach of Data triggers policy, a weakness in network, how a breach is covered – system not turned off or accidental breaches, need to look at an electronic information policy, should take a step back and form a policy on this, we do not cover this under an existing policy, justification for a $5 million policy vs. a $3 million policy, deductible claim rather than occurrence, limit of liability per claim, the probability of risk, and we need some direction here. Mr. Brown added that Mr. McKee was here as our insurance broker and has done research, we need more coverage than shared at the last meeting, and Ms. Steel has shared concerns. Ms. Steel noted that she has had multiple conversations with many people regarding this issue and looking at data governance not just policy.

Board members added: Would like to see a recommendation from the administration, five options presented, not comfortable and not sure of risk here, lack of understanding of internal practices, and any more thought should be directed to board leadership, Mr. Brown and Ms. Steele. Dr. O’Donnell noted that work would be done with Ms. Steele on this issue for a better understanding.

Draft Policy 620 - Fund Balance
Mr. Brown brought Policy 620 - Fund Balance with revisions when first presented at the last meeting. Some categories are very specific and he would provide any clarification for any questions. Board members had no questions and one member noted that he was fine with this one. The Policy will come back for approval on the first meeting agenda in September.

VIII. DISTRICT GOAL CATEGORY: SAFETY
Policy 810.2 – Transportation Audio and Video Recording
Mr. Brown noted that the goal is to allow use of audio recordings. We already use video recordings on school buses and vehicles for disciplinary action. Dr. O’Donnell added there are 50 to 60 students on a bus and this is the least supervised place in the district. This will be used only if there is a problem and is an added tool to help us resolve problems, especially verbal. This will improve safety for kids.
 
Board members discussed:
Something should be mailed home, tracking against how many instances could have been resolved, without that understanding – voiced being very uncomfortable, goal is for safe and secure, bus drivers weighed in on this, not required to do, understands what it is saying but sides with uncomfortable, supports proposal, a natural extension of what we are doing, and agrees that it would help kids on the ride to and from school.

IX. DRAFT ACCOUNTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Mr. Brown explained looking at the business operations of the district and noted strengths and weaknesses.

For a district our size, we need to improve the business function. An opportunity for restructuring has occurred and it would be helpful for Ms. Watson to have someone that is an accountant. Currently, no one in the business office has an accountant background. The accounting assistant accepted another position in the district and the empty position should go to an accountant. Board members discussed: well past time, go forward to hire someone, first step in identifying, redundancy, and agrees it is time. Mr. Brown noted that the accountant would be working in some areas Ms. Watson is responsible for and others that the assistant did. This item will be brought back on the next meeting agenda, August 25, 2014, for action.

X. PSBA SCHOOL LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE and VOTING DELEGATES
The board secretary reviewed information regarding the PSBA School Leadership Conference, Wednesday, October 22 through Friday, October 24, 2014, at Hershey Lodge and Convention Center. The Legislative Assembly this year is on Tuesday, October 21, prior to the conference and there is no registration fee. The district voting delegates would need to be there for 12:30 p.m. start. The board secretary requested board members notify her with their interest for attending the conference and/or being a voting delegate by the end of Friday, August 15 so registrations could be completed. The district will be providing a presentation on its referendum on Wednesday, October 22, 3:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.

XI. FUTURE AGENDA PLANNING
Ms. Fishbaine reviewed items for future agenda planning. Board member noted that an item that should be added would be financing - with the possibility of Bond purchasing by the end of the year.

XII. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Stahl moved and Dr. Pawelczyk seconded to adjourn the meeting. All board members present voted aye with a voice vote. The motion passed unanimously. (Mr. Leous had previously disconnected and Ms. Concepcion was absent.) Ms. Fishbaine adjourned the meeting at 10:01 p.m. to an executive session on personnel and negotiations.

Submitted by,
Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary