Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting/Notes 10-4-18

All attachments in pdf

 

Agenda
October 4, 2018 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting
11:30 a.m. - Meeting Room A
Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801

I.       Call to Order

II.      High School Crosswalk Recap (attachment)

III.    High School North Parking Lot Universal Access (attachment)

IV.     Building Project Scheduled Completion Discussion

V.      Playgrounds Design Process (attachment)

VI.     COG/CRPR Master Plan Recap
                 Whitehall Road Park - Baseball Field

VII.    Public Comment  Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

VIII.   Future Agenda Items
                 High School Sign
                 Memorial Field schedule
                 Redistricting

IX.      Adjournment


NOTES

October 4, 2018 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Notes
11:30 a.m. - Meeting Room A
Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801

I.        Call to Order
Ms. Bedell called the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting to order at 11:35 a.m. and welcomed all in attendance.

Present: Committee Members: Lori Bedell, Gretchen Brandt, Amber Concepcion, Scott Fozard
Others:  Vern Bock, Randy Brown, Mary Jenn Dorman, Matt Harlow,  Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Chris Weakland

A copy of  all materials distributed to committee members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

II.       High School Crosswalk
Mr. Poprik provided a memo for the High School crosswalk and noted he would like to withdraw the change order. They are looking into flashing beacons at O’Bryan Lane crosswalk, and would like to let the thermoplastic paint stay in the project. The bid package would be the same with the addition of flashing beacon at O’Bryan Lane. Mr. Harlow explained the flashers are the District’s, but need to work with the Borough to do. He also confirmed the flashers at the bike path will be there and they are the District’s also. As a response to committee members, Mr. Brown explained the recommendation has been withdrawn due to the discussion at the Board table and the lack of support not to have the thermoplastic paint; and the bike path is the Borough’s, not ours for treatment. Discussion occurred regarding the fence coming down; different places students will be dropped off; flashers are on before/after school and during class changes; to have them on longer or more is a permit process with PennDOT and the Borough; the light at the crosswalk will go in sometime in November with a period of activation; and Mr. Harlow added the connection for Logan Avenue will not occur soon due to that being the access for contractors to come and go. The thermoplastic paint and choosing what it would look like; using maroon and gray with the white reflective on the outside, and maroon and gray would be in the middle; and will bridge the two sides for a campus and connectedness. Ms. Bedell mentioned we could apply for a PA Safe Routes to School Grant this year or for 2019 that could help with this. Mr. Brown asked about the change in color or if there is a change in design also. Committee members would like maroon and gray, have paw print or an S, and if brick pattern was chosen, bricks could be maroon with gray grouting. It was noted the maroon and gray could be a cost impact, then there would need to be a discussion for redesign. The grant could be restricted since the project has started. Mr. Harlow noted this would all be happening next summer and committee members requested for the following to occur:

  • Find out the the rules, timing, and if permissible for us to apply for the grant
  • Cost out the maroon and gray colors and design change pending the grant
  • The cost to do a crosswalk at the north corner by bike path for a crossing with flashers along with O’Bryan Lane and the light intersection

The information should be brought back to the next Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting and then decision will be made what needs to be taken to the full Board.

III.      High School North Parking Lot Universal Access
Mr. Harlow spoke regarding the access issues that Dr. Pawelczyk addressed at the Board meeting for consideration. We are fully compliant and reviewed the two entrances and accessibility. He explained Centre Region Code interpretation of walking surface and a 5% grade is considered a ramp. Mr Poprik added we are in compliance with ADA, fire, electrical, safety and international clause gives complete discretion to the local authority. Centre Region Code is an entity of COG and explained about his monthly meetings and relationship with Mr. Snyder. The ramp(s) they were discussing would not be permitted, we met ADA already and there is zero tolerance on slope and Mr. Harlow explained a side slope of 2% and ramp being 5% grade. The North parking lot is done and meets Code; to tear things out to make more accessible has a cost. Mr. Harlow reviewed the map of the parking lot and noted there are no ADA parking spaces in the lot; showed there were no curb cuts and why there are not accessible ramps; explained areas with slope and icing could occur; another area would need to rip out the existing curb and make wider and could be a $2,500 cost to redo; and these would be a change order situation. Mr. Poprik noted he could take this to the Full Board in two weeks as a separate change order, not in the listing. Committee members discussed this being an accessibility issue and would like to know impact to do the one they saw, one at O’Bryan Lane and two others - one in each corner. The signage for these would fall under the way finding process. The service area has all steps and spoke on band instruments, the door going directly into the band room, could go onto asphalt that is 32 feet wide, and Mr. Poprik will look at and check with the Band Director. Mr. Poprik noted there are two potential curb cuts at North, the travel path that could be made wider, or a place more logical to put something for accessibility. It was noted that we cannot lose parking spots.

Update on the Text Amendment for South Field
Mr. Poprik explained there is an additional cost for the text amendment. The Board authorized $1,000 to ELA to submit, and now there is an administrative fee for the Borough of $2,500 to file. Committee member asked if we could request if they would wave and Mr. Poprik responded with an explanation regarding many reasons as to why we would not ask this. This item will come to the full Board on the October 8 meeting agenda for action.  Mr. Poprik requested to have a not to exceed amount stated in case there would be any other fee. Committee members were in agreement.

IV.       Playgrounds Design Process
Mr. Poprik noted the need to organize logistics, committed to the Playground Taskforce, and provided the listing of 49 people. Adjustments can be made between now and Monday for a Monday discussion. It could be this group or something else. Committee members commented on the number being too many, and Mr. Poprik explained this would be the oversight group, then split down into smaller groups and parents, and will be on the Monday agenda for a full Board discussion. Committee member noted there were no students, talked about playscapes, more about recreational grounds, not site and Mr. Bock noted that this will be evening work and bringing elementary students in could be problematic. Committee member was thinking a fifth grade student from each elementary school and a sixth grade student from each middle school, for a total of 10 students. Dr. O’Donnell noted they need to meet with Metcalfe and discuss students in the process, and then will show how students will be engaged in the process. There will be a line added for student representation - 10 students.

V.          Building Project Scheduled Completion Discussion
Mr. Poprik noted he continues to have concern and spoke on the recent update, putting together contracts, plan work, and the losing a certain number of days due to the weather. He wants committee members to be aware and prepared for this. He explained 12-days were lost in September and explained what this means; he has talked aggressively with contractors daily about meeting/not meeting the schedule; issues regarding paying for Saturday and Sunday work; or what potentially would happen for not making the schedule. Corl Street and Radio Park have January dates and August 2019 as well, they could have trouble with August dates. He noted if the December date is not met for Corl Street, they may need to do a weekend move in, which pushes August date that could impact next school year. Dr. O’Donnell added information for Spring Creek with tearing down the building to do the parking lot and provided details that needed done in that process. Code will not let us open without a parking lot. In addition to weather, there are no more available masons in Central PA, so more staff cannot be added. On a good note, completions regarding the grants have been good. Mr. Poprik will continue to keep the committee informed of the progress.

VI.       COG/CRPR Master Plan Recap - Whitehall Road Park - Baseball Field
Ms. Bedell asked if this was time sensitive and Ms. Brandt responded that it was not. This item would be held until the next Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting agenda.

VII.      Public Comment  
There was no public comment.

VIII.     Future Agenda Items
Ms. Bedell noted the following items were listed for future agendas: High School Sign, Memorial Field Schedule, and Redistricting.

IX.
       
Adjournment
Ms. Bedell adjourned the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting at 1:28 p.m.

Submitted by,



Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary