Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Agenda/Notes 2/26/19

All attachments in pdf


Agenda
February 26, 2019 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting
Panorama Village Administrative Center - Meeting Room A, 11:30 a.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801


I.      Call to Order


II.     Memorial Field Update

              Bid results  (attachment) (Value Engineering) (North Field) (Site Plans)
              Memorial design 


III.    Capital Projects Schedule
(discussion)
          A. High School
                Right of Way for fence on North Campus (attachment III-A)
          B. Delta/North
          C. Elementary Projects
                Parking Reduction agreements (attachment III-C)
          D. Massaro contract extension


IV.     Playground Master Plan
(discussion)
              Metcalfe contract amendment


V.      South Track Lighting Update
(discussion)


VI.     New School Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies
(discussion)

VII.    Public Comment  Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.


VIII.   
Future Agenda Items
              CRPR Basefields
              Demographic Update
              Student design for memorial at MF

 
IX.     Adjournment


February 26, 2019 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Notes
Panorama Village Administrative Center - Meeting Rm C, 11:30 a.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive                                                                                 Accepted Notes
State College, PA  16801

 

I.  Call to Order
Ms. Bedell called the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting to order at 11:32 a.m. and welcomed all in attendance. She turned the meeting over to Mr. Poprik.

Present: Committee Members: Lori Bedell, Gretchen Brandt (arrived 11:38 a.m.), Amber Concepcion, Scott Fozard
Others:  Amy Bader, Randy Brown, Anna Childe, Mary Jenn Dorman, Dan Duffy, Nancy Gorgas, Jon Herzing, Tim Jones, Robert Lingenfelter, Jim Leous, Jason Little, Nabil Mark, Kevin Nestor, Tami Nowacki, Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Chris Rosenblum, Will Stout, Chris Weakland, Laurel Zydney

A copy of  all materials distributed to committee members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

 

II.  Memorial Field Update
Bid Results - Mr. Poprik noted the bids were in and are 12% over what was estimated/budget. He reviewed four scenarios put together with cost:
***Bid Scenario #1 - Base Bid Only, Short Schedule, Classroom Finished - $11,656,900
***Bid Scenario #2 - Base Bid/Sched. Alt, Long Schedule, Classroom Finished - $12,245,600
***Bid Scenario #3 - Base Bid/Both Altrnts, Long Schedule,Classroom Unfinished - $12,198,800
***Bid Scenario #4 - Base Bid/Classroom Alt, Short Sch, Classroom Unfinished - $11,611,800
When reviewed against Massaro’s estimate, that was the long schedule option with classroom finished, the variance is 12%. There was a meeting scheduled with contractors looking at how we could have some cost savings, but there are no recommendations at this time. All scenarios are without soft costs. Mr. Brown noted that the classroom savings is $46,800, it does provide a tremendous amount of flexibility and could be a fourth locker room.
Value Engineering - Mr. Poprik explained the design team met with apparent low bidder, LS Fiore to discuss potential value engineering items for Memorial Field project and the discussion led to these items:  1) Delete South End Zone Connector Walkway, 2) Delete North Ticket and Concessions Building, 3) Delete Switchback Ramp at West Concourse, replace with alternate ramp, 4) Replace specified flowable Engineered Fill with alternate material, 5) Remove North Foundation wall to facilitate building demolition, 6) Delete “Jacob’s Ladder” and Landscape Plantings from South End Zone Walkway. He provided an explanation of each item with showing exactly where it was located on the PowerPoint presentation. The contractor is preparing cost estimates for each. Some items would need engineering and redesign efforts that may lead to additional time to complete estimates. Committee member noted to eliminate the walkway would be a major inconvenience, has concerns, and should be finished the right way.
North Field Improvements - Mr. Poprik noted that as part of Memorial Field bids, several scenarios have been developed regarding improvements to the new North Athletic Field. These would add items to the North Field so competition sporting events could be held at this location.

There were two scenarios provided:

  • #1 with 500 seats, scoreboard, removable football goal posts, and press box (size TBD) Cost estimate for #1 scenario is $200,000 to $250,000
  • #2 with 1,500 seats including retaining wall and grading work, scoreboard, removal football goal posts, press box (8’ X 18’)  Cost estimate for #2 scenario $550,000 to $575,000

Mr. Poprik explained that 1,000 seats in #2 are not permanent, could stay forever or could move and are reasonable to move where needed. He explained the estimated cost difference between the two scenarios for North Field costs due to the Memorial Field schedule currently being $263,000. Dr. O’Donnell spoke on having bleachers for other opportunities but the key is Memorial Field project and costs and value engineering has to come through, if not, it could change our Capital Plan. Concerns are: still need lights at South Track, only have one field right now, the parking lot, and band and other things play into our recommendation. Committee members discussed the North Field options, 1,500 seats not really associated with only North Field, risk involved with longer Memorial Field schedule, would mean three occupancy inspections Fall of 2019, 20 and 21.There would be only one with the shorter schedule and Mr. Jones noted the dollar amounts of long vs. short and contractor would prefer short. He spoke on what is needed done May 15 to August 15, 2019 for football to start and not being a long window of time, hope for good weather. The biggest risk is the 2020 football season and explained. Committee members need to know and have a good understanding for the impact on students - the short schedule, 100% for one year for fall and spring; for the long schedule, 0% for fall but 100% in the spring for two seasons, too many unknowns for the long schedule, would like to know accumulative  student impact for both options and include all band members. Discussed weather and getting behind with current projects and this project could be tougher than schools if dealing with the same type of weather.
Memorial design - Mr. Poprik noted they are still working on the Memorial.

 

III.  Capital Projects Schedule
High School - Mr. Poprik explained the schedule continues to slip due to weather and they are preparing change orders for schedule extensions. They will be using the entire summer now since they are extended to the end of August and have run out of wiggle room. Mr. Jones added they had 33 weather delay days on record and the North has ten additional days beyond; the South has 39 days beyond that are linked to phasing. The mindset of the team is positive and Mr. Poprik did explain the move for North is more complicated than South. They are not recommending  moving the school calendar; there would be ways to make most moves during the school year. Everyone has their current home except the fitness center. Mr. Jones explained the worst case scenario and spoke about what parts will be completed when. No long term decisions being made until under roof regarding financial components. Things through the contractors do include provisions for weather, however, it is the District cost, not the contractors.
Elementary Projects - Nancy Gorgas reported that July 31 was still the date for the Elementary Projects to be complete. She reviewed a few issues that have occurred at Corl Street (additional abatement, roofing), Radio Park (the Windstream disconnect took longer), and Spring Creek (the snow days affected the start date for demo and getting parking complete for occupancy). Contractors are doing Saturday work, keeping a close eye on things because the weather could affect outcomes, and Jason Little added there were unforeseen design issues. The weather is a risk but still have flexibility in the schedule.
Right of Way for fence on North Campus -  Mr. Poprik noted there is a fence on the South side that we own and also own one on the North side. He did provide an update on the traffic light being pushed to the end of March. There is now only one producer of the light poles in the state of PA. He explained that the North property line runs through the tree trunks and would install the fence with-in the Right-of-Way, agree we own the fence, we will repair and any adjustment is on us. Dr. Etter is working on this agreement with the Borough. This item will be on the March 11 Board meeting agenda under Information/Discussion and there is no financial aspect with this.
Parking Reduction Agreements -  Mr. Poprik noted we are requesting less parking as required by Code and there is Parking Reduction Agreement same as at the High School for Corls Street School and Radio Park School. This item will also be brought forward as an Information/Discussion item on the March 11 Board meeting agenda and he explained part is already in the site design and in the future, could add back the number to Code.
Massaro Contract Extension - Mr. Poprik reviewed that High School started summer - Sp 15 (early) but the main project did not start then. Massaro started sooner and they are coming to the end of their contract. We are preparing a Contract extension - pay monthly and explained the process with a full fee then reduce in September, but could be re-evaluated.  This would be for the punch list, owner training and other items since this is not a typical project.

Anna Chlde and Robert Lingenfelter left the meeting at 12:40 p.m.

 

IV.  Playground Master Plan
Metcalfe Contract Amendment - Mr. Poprik noted that Delta was not included (now has 5 - 8 grades) for playground process so Metcalf needs to add this additional school into their scope. This will be on the March 11 Board meeting agenda as an Action Item.

 

V.  South Track Lighting Update
Dr. O’Donnell noted he and Matt Harlow attended the last planning commission meeting and need to go back one more time. He has been approached by community groups, spoke on having a field with lights for soccer in late spring and early fall, practices, local games, etc., and need to reflect on this since the community is funding. Mr. Brown added that he and Mr. Harlow will be meeting to discuss and gave upcoming dates and noted the marching band practices two nights/week 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Committee member questioned the language noting the zoning is to change in two-years and Mr. Brown noted that should it be rezoned, the language in the contract for right now would no longer be applicable. What comes out of the Planning Commission is a referral, then it would go to the Borough Council for final say. Dr. O’Donnell would like to keep this moving and need to reiterate these are the community’s fields. Mr. Brown will revisit some points with Mr. LeClear.

Will Stout left the meeting at 12:50 p.m.

 

VI.  New School Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies
It was suggested this item would be good for the Communications Committee agenda and many were in agreement.

 

VII. Public Comment  
The following audience member addressed the committee:
Tami Nowacki spoke on the Elementary projects, timeframe, and any impact for the playgrounds; and spoke on a Fundraiser for Memorial Field. Mr. Poprik responded to the first item regarding playgrounds and noted discussion has happened with Metcalf, where there are no playgrounds, they will phase so things are there for play and will build upon as the year continues. Mr. Brown noted that the brick fundraiser for Memorial Field has been going on for a few years.

Board member questioned the completion of Elementary projects and any financial impact and Mr. Brown responded, none and explained. He also explained that soft costs would be added on for Memorial Field and this does impact the Capital Plan; an update will be provided.

Mr. Fozard thanked everyone for getting through the long agenda and noted the presentations were precise, complete and appreciates how all were prepared.

 

VIII. Future Agenda Items

CRPR Basefields

Demographic Update

Student design for memorial at MF

 

IX.  Adjournment
Ms. Bedell adjourned the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting at 1:04 p.m.

 

Submitted by,

Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary