Facilities and Grounds Committee Agenda/Notes August 14, 2019

Agenda
August 14, 2019 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting
11:30 a.m. - Room B112
State College Area High School
650 Westerly Parkway
State College, PA  16801

  1. Call to Order

  2. High School and Elementary School Project Updates

  3. Naming of Campus Drive

  4. High School Parking Lot Curb Cuts for Accessibility

  5. Universal Access Resolution

  6. Public Comment  
    Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

  7. Future Agenda Items
    Demographics/Enrollment Projections
    Playground Project Updates
    Capital Projects Change Order Contingency

  8. Adjournment

 


APPROVED
August 14, 2019 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Notes

11:30 a.m. - Room B116
State College Area High School
650 Westerly Parkway
State College, PA 16801

  1. Call to Order
    Ms. Gretchen Brandt called the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting to order at 11:31 a.m.

    Committee Members Present: Lori Bedell, Gretchen Brandt, Amber Concepcion
    Absent: Scott Fozard
    Others: Amy Bader, Randy Brown, Deanna Burgess, Nabil Mark, Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Lynn Tressler, Sharon Salter, Chris Weakland
    Guests: Matt Harlow, Tami Nowacki, Jim Pawelczyk, Dwayne Witmer

    A copy of all materials distributed to committee members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

  2. High School and Elementary School Project Updates
    Ed Poprik provided an update on the High School and Elementary School construction projects. Teachers will be able to occupy the High School and Delta North on Monday, August 19. The high school auditorium and café will not be completed. His biggest area of concern is Corl Street. He has a temporary occupancy permit for Friday, but realistically it will be Monday. The Borough just issued a letter to CRCA for zoning. He may try to keep teachers out of the front of the building for a few days due to the amount of work that is going on. The library and STEM classroom will not be available the first week of school, but it is possible for the second week. Teachers are in the building at Spring Creek. Mr. Poprik is trying to get the parking lot squared away for the first day of school. He reminded the committee that with all of the district projects, there will be a lot of commotion with final furniture installation, cleaning, teachers unpacking, etc.

    At board member requests, Mr. Poprik also provided an update on the playground master plan. The district is working with Metcalfe to establish a list of the existing equipment that will be recovered and installed. Corl Street will be moving a couple of pieces of equipment due to site grading. The swing installation vendor does not have a final date, but Mr. Poprik is hopeful there will be progress in early September. Final projection dates are unclear due to building occupancy urgencies. Dr. O’Donnell did note the reason for the delay is that we are waiting on replacement parts so that district personnel can reinstall the play structures as soon as possible. A recommendation was made to purchase inexpensive items such as chalk, jump ropes or hula hoops to allow for creative play and maximize play time. Dr. O’Donnell advised that he will check with principals to make certain the bins of toys that exist are updated. A board member noted that the community does not feel the playgrounds are on the priority list for the students. It is important that we communicate the district wants the very best experience for its students and we care about what we are doing. Add date on timeline on when things will be completed. Dr. O’Donnell suggested principals make an announcement at back to school night. Mr. Poprik will provide a timetable to principals so they can share with parents.

  3. Naming of Campus Drive
    Randy Brown noted that the cross street of Westerly Parkway is owned by the district and is not named. The district would like to name it Campus Drive. While it does connect with Logan Avenue, the Committee agreed that Campus Drive makes the most sense. Matt Harlow will check with 911 and Borough to make certain there aren’t any issues.

  4. High School Parking Lot Curb Cuts for Accessibility
    Lori Bedell introduced Dwayne Witmer, Facilities Access Coordinator at Penn State and Chair of the University Access Committee. It is the responsibility of his position to remove barriers or obstacles to ensure that no qualified individual with a disability shall be excluded from participation or denied the benefits of the services, programs or activities of Penn State. Mr. Witmer was invited to the meeting to provide his expertise on universal access. Mr. Poprik highlighted plans depicting accessibility routes to keep in mind during the walk-thru. Sharon Salter would like to revisit areas that could be improved from student/faculty feedback.

    Board members and district personnel adjourned at 11:45 a.m. to walk campus with construction personnel to review the curb cuts for ADA accessibility.

    The meeting reconvened at 12:38 p.m.

  5. Universal Access Resolution
    Gretchen Brandt advised that there seems to be substantial board support for a universal access resolution. Sharon Salter feels there should be a policy developed with procedures which include persons with different needs. It was recommended to not use the term universal accessibility, but just strive for accessibility. The next step is to come back to this committee in late September with information and discussion on the Master Plan for Accessibility. Ms. Brandt will develop a draft memo for the August 19 Board agenda.

  6. Public Comment
    Tammy Nowacki thanked committee members for asking for a playground update at today’s meeting. She would like to see a timeframe on what existing equipment is available and when it will be installed. Dr. O’Donnell will touch base with Todd Dishong to get a status update. He reiterated that we are waiting on replacement parts to reinstall equipment. Ms. Nowaki made a recommendation of Fogelman Field as an option for field day.

    Jim Pawelczyk thanked the committee for setting up the meeting in this manner to tour the ADA accessibility across the high school campus. It is clear ADA has been met in the campus design, but sets the bar low when universal access means that no student has limited access. He recommended two principles to include in the resolution: if it is possible to make something meet the ADA, then we should. Second, if there are areas that can’t meet the letter of the ADA, then we should attempt to meet the spirit of the ADA.

  7. Future Agenda Items
    Demographics/Enrollment Projections
    Playground Project Updates
    Capital Projects Change Order Contingency

  8. Adjournment
    Ms. Brandt adjourned the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting at 1:00 p.m.

Submitted by,

Lynn Tressler
Board Secretary