Facilities and Grounds Committee Agenda/Notes October 3, 2019

October 3, 2019 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Agenda
Panorama Village Administrative Center
Meeting Room A - 11:30 a.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801

  1. Call to Order

  2. Playground Update (attachment) (Updated Playground Designs Oct. 2, 2019)

  3. Accessibility Policy

  4. Sustainability - Greenhouse Gas Inventory

  5. Public Comment
    Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

  6. Future Agenda Items
    North Building Shop Renovations

  7. Adjournment

APPROVED
October 3, 2019 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Minutes
Panorama Village Administrative Center
Meeting Room A - 11:30 a.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801

  1. Call to Order
    Ms. Gretchen Brandt called the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting to order at 11:33 a.m.

    Committee Members Present: Lori Bedell, Gretchen Brandt, Amber Concepcion, Scott Fozard (via phone)
    Absent:
    Others: Vern Bock, Randy Brown, Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Jason Small, Lynn Tressler, Laurel Zydney
    Guests: Benita Moritz, Tami Nowacki

    Scott Fozard joined via phone at 11:45 a.m.
    Laurel Zydney arrived at 11:52 a.m.

    A copy of all materials distributed to committee members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

  2. Playground Update
    Mr. Vern Bock advised that a conference call occurred with the Metcalfe team on October 2. Today’s update provides an overview of the installation of swings, basketball hoops, and recycled equipment, as well as the final stages of playground design refinement. He noted the playground designs are nearly complete. Principals at Corl Street, Radio Park and Spring Creek will engage their faculty, staff, and families in sessions to gather feedback for final refinements to playground designs. This will occur in faculty and PTO meetings throughout September and October. Metcalfe and district administration will consider these suggested refinements and final designs, including a budget, and will be presented to the Board of Directors for final approval in December. Mr. Ed Poprik noted that one of the concerns he received from multiple sources was that there were no slides at Radio Park and Spring Creek. Adjustments have been made to coordinate slides into the design. It is out for pricing to see how this adjustment will affect the budget. The Corl Street layout stayed the same, but comments were added about larger climbing opportunities. As a result, they are looking at replacing the dome climber with a large 17 foot tree climber. This too, is out for pricing to see how it will affect the budget. These adjustments are based on faculty and principal feedback. Prices for these changes will be provided in the coming weeks. A suggestion was made to have PTO meetings announced as soon as possible to give interested parties as much time to make plans to attend.

  3. Accessibility Policy
    Ms. Gretchen Brandt provided background on discussions surrounding the recommendation of creating an accessibility policy for the district. After the Facilities and Grounds Committee toured the high school campus, members realized there was the potential to provide more curb cuts than were already implemented. Discussion surrounded the benefits of a resolution versus policy. Members agreed that implementing a high-level policy would provide a permanent source of goals and priorities for all forms of accessibility across the district (e.g. physical, visual, auditory, etc.). The Committee wants to positively impact the experiences of those who struggle with any form of access and agreed that curb cuts will be the first area of focus. Dr. O’Donnell will talk with Ms. Amy Bader and Ms. Sharon Salter who co-chair the district’s subcommittee on Accessibility. The committee can solicit stakeholder feedback to help form a set of guiding principles. Mr. Poprik will review the annual budget and develop a phased plan on improving accessibility to the district’s facilities. Ms. Brandt will share the first phase of a resolution that could be drafted into the initial policy. Physical Plant will work with members of the subcommittee to bring recommendations to a future joint Facilities and Grounds and Policy Development committee meeting.

  4. Sustainability - Greenhouse Gas Inventory
    In conjunction with the Solar Power Working Group, Mr. Randy Brown advised that Ms. Brandt connected him with Ms. Pam Adams, Sustainability Planner for the Centre Region Council of Governments (COG). COG is developing a greenhouse emissions inventory for the entire region. The recommendation was made to collect data from 2016 and again in 2021 to give a baseline comparison. The data would include electric bills, transportation and diesel miles, and walkers/bikers vs those who are transported by bus or driven to school. Penn State students are assisting with the data collection at the county level. A recommendation was made for SCASD teachers/students to help inventory as part of combined educational opportunity. Ms. Concepcion noted the Sustainable Communities Collaborative (SCC) at Penn State connects University Park faculty, students, and staff with local communities to address sustainability challenges through an engaged collaborative effort. There is a fee of $600 to cover their costs in teaming up projects with organizations. The ultimate objective is to develop a Sustainability Action Plan that will establish goals for the district. Concern was raised about using the district’s administrative resources to accumulate this information without knowing how it fits with our goals. A recommendation was made to have Ms. Adams attend the October 24 Policy Development Committee meeting to explain the process.

  5. Public Comment 
    Ms. Tami Nowacki, Spring Creek Elementary parent, inquired about the following: how long will it be before students are able to play on the newly seeded grass; what was the teacher feedback on the playground master plan; what is the depth of the slide; and, will the orange piece of equipment be reused. Mr. Poprik advised that weather is the determining factor for the seeded areas around the school. He also noted that the slide is 5’ 10”. Mr. Randy Brown indicated that the orange playground piece will not be recycled due to budget and space requirements. However, all designs of that piece of equipment were incorporated into other structures. Mr. Bock noted that the overwhelming feedback from teachers was the balance between nature play and traditional equipment.

    Ms. Benita Moritz, Radio Park Elementary parent, requested the playground plans be posted as soon as possible so that the community can review prior to the Radio Park PTO meeting on Monday, October 14. Discussion surrounded the slide that was incorporated into the design. Ms. Moritz also inquired who was the driving force behind nature play. Board members advised that nature play came about as a result of the research and evidenced-based decision making which provided a positive balance on child development. Dr. O’Donnell noted that accessibility was the main focus along with the type of material that should be integrated. He reminded everyone that this is the first phase. By the time we get to the second phase, we will have gained more knowledge.

  6. Future Agenda Items
    Mr. Poprik advised that there is potential for renovations of the North Building Shop (former CTC wing) to accommodate the district’s RIT and Hearts Programs. It is his hope to get these renovations completed for the 2021 academic year. As a result, the scope will need to be finalized by November 2019 in order to meet this timeline.

    Ms. Brandt noted the Centre Region Park and Rec will hold its final public meeting regarding CRPR master plan. The meeting will be held on November 14 at 6:00 p.m. at the High School LGI. The draft master plan will then go before the COG Forum. Ms. Brandt will provide an update to the full board about the recommendations made at that meeting.

  7. Adjournment
    Ms. Brandt adjourned the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting at 12:52 p.m.


Submitted by,

Lynn Tressler
Board Secretary