Joint Facilities and Grounds/Board Policy Development Committee Agenda/Notes November 7, 2019


Agenda

November 7, 2019
Joint Facilities and Grounds/Board Policy Development Committee Meeting Agenda
Panorama Village Administrative Center
Meeting Room A - 11:30 a.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801

 

  1. Call to Order

  2. Centre Region Sustainability (attachment)

  3. Accessibility

  4. Public Comment 
    Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

  5. Future Agenda Items
    North Building Shop Renovations

  6. Adjournment

APPROVED
November 7, 2019
Joint Facilities and Grounds/Board Policy Development Committee Meeting Minutes
Panorama Village Administrative Center
Meeting Room A - 11:30 a.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801

  1. Call to Order
    Ms. Lori Bedell called the Joint Facilities and Grounds and Policy Development Committee meeting to order at 11:33 a.m.

    Committee Members Present: Amy Bader, Lori Bedell, Gretchen Brandt, Dan Duffy, Scott Fozard
    Absent: Amber Concepcion
    Others: Randy Brown, Cathy Knour, Bob O’Donnell, Linda Pierce, Ed Poprik, Lynn Tressler
    Guests: Benita Moritz, Tammi Nowacki, Suzanne Winter

    Amy Bader arrived at 11:37 a.m.

    A copy of all materials distributed to committee members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

  2. Centre Region Sustainability
    Ms. Pam Adams, Sustainability Planner for the Centre Regional Planning Agency, provided an overview on the centre region’s sustainability initiatives. All six municipalities were recognized as a Sustainable PA Community in 2018. State College Borough is a certified Gold Community, all other municipalities are certified platinum communities. Ms. Adam’s noted her focus is on climate action. She reviewed a list of sustainable goals and noted that observed regional changes include a 71% increase in extreme rain events since 1898; the number of lymes disease cases tripled in PA over the past ten years; as well as temperature changes. Ms. Adam’s reviewed fossil fuel and land usage for carbon emissions. The CAPP Program’s objective is to identify pragmatic, fiscally responsible actions for local municipalities to consider in order to mitigate the region’s contribution to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and adapt to changing climate conditions. She reviewed the five milestones of emissions management, using Penn State’s data as an example. The University has reduced its campus greenhouse gas emissions by 32% since 2005. Their current goal is 35% by 2020. A Board member asked where Penn State and the local governments fit. She advised that the University has their own inventory. As far as municipalities, they are considered commercial. Ms. Adams reviewed the GHG emissions that are measured and the Centre Region’s emissions profile. Ms. Adams indicated that she is developing a COG regional plan with Ferguson Township and the State College Borough working in tandem. She provided a list of SCASD partnering opportunities and discussed how the district could initiate its sustainability process. She also noted there are grant opportunities for electric school buses. Discussion surrounded model communities. Ms. Adams noted Lancaster, Ann Harbour, Northwestern, and Boulder Colorado are communities she has been studying. Dr. O’Donnell suggested that the district come up with a bucket list, get a baseline inventory, set a goal of where we want to be, and develop a plan. It was noted that the district does not have the resources to accomplish this. She indicated change in behavior is not easy--the largest portion of the SCASD budget is personnel. A board member inquired about access to the software. Ms. Adams indicated that it is provided by DEP and would be something that she could share access to.

    Next steps: Ms. Lori Bedell will review the policies that she researched. If committee members have district policies that they are in favor of, please send them to Ms. Bedell. She will review, highlight key ideas, and develop a draft for review. This item will appear on the next Policy Development Committee agenda.

  3. Accessibility
    Dr. O’Donnell reminded the group where it left off from the summer meeting. The Facilities and Grounds Committee walked the high school campus to review accessibility and the necessary curb cuts needed. Because the High School is heavily accessed by the community, the committee agreed that planning should be a priority at that campus. Dr. O’Donnell suggested forming a High School Accessibility Work Group which would include leading district personnel and a cross-section of community members. To help expedite the process, he would like Mr. Ed Poprik and Ms. Sharon Salter to begin working to identify curb cuts and other accessibility barriers requiring immediate attention. This will provide Mr. Poprik the ample time needed to process the necessary paperwork to get these projects in the summer construction rotation schedule. The High School Accessibility Working Group will then develop a set of guiding principles and propose a plan of action for other impediments across campus. Discussion surrounded push button door access for wheelchair accessible students, directional signage, and access to the high school.

    Next steps: Dr. O’Donnell and Mr. Brown will develop a charge memo to the committee.

  4. Public Comment 
    Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

    Ms. Suzanne Winter, Radio Park PTO president, provided follow-up to her November 7 email to the Board and reiterated the key points outlined: (1) inquired about the age range for comparative structure that is replacing the dome climber; (2) requested information on the additional play structures that may be added to Radio Park due to enrollment spikes, the timeline, and location of pieces. (3) clarification on the embankment slide; (4) asked for clarification on the extended path that was eliminated from the most recent site plan; and, (5) inquired about the existing slopes and embankments that are natural to the Radio Park site and why they are not being used for the embankment slide.

    Ms. Benita Moritz, Radio Park PTO Vice President, apologized for the tone of her recent email. She inquired about refurbishing equipment that would not be cost effective vs. safety issues. She shared her frustration about the cost of these pieces and the amount of money the PTO raised to get them. While she is not opposed to nature play, Ms. Moritz questioned the difference between recess and nature play in learning. She relayed the discussions with teachers and staff who feel nobody is listening. She also noted that parents are concerned about timing and if construction will occur in May.

    Ms. Tammi Nowacki, Spring Creek parent, thanked Laurel Zydney for her diligence in asking questions about the playground master plan. She commented that very few families have been involved in the process and recommended that a flyer be sent home to parents with periodic updates. She noted that parents have voiced they do not like the stack of logs and would like them replaced with one or more slides. She also inquired about the boulders being removed due to cost. 

    Mr. Ed Poprik clarified that the piece of equipment replacing the dome climber listed is for the appropriate age range. He also advised that the contractors are currently working at Spring Creek to install the swings and will be on site at Radio Park next week.

    Board members noted while they do approve the plans, they do not select the equipment. It would be more fitting for parents to take their concerns to the appropriate personnel. Dr. O’Donnell advised that the principals are the point of contact for the playgrounds and recommended parents contact them with their questions and concerns.

  5. Future Agenda Items
    North Building Shop Renovations

  6. Adjournment
    Ms. Bedell adjourned the Joint Board Facilities and Grounds and Policy Development Committee meeting at 1:07 p.m.


Submitted by,

Lynn Tressler
Board Secretary