Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Agenda/Notes 6-16-17

All attachments in pdf


Agenda
June 16, 2017 Board Facilities & Grounds Committee Meeting
11:30 p.m. -  Meeting Room C - Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801

I.          Call to Order

II.        Elementary Project Development

            1.  Review Community Forum and Board Discussion (6/12) Comments
            
        A.  60% Cost Estimate  (attachment II-A)
                     B. 
Answers to Community Forum Questions  (attachment II-B)
                     C. 
Playground Option  (attachment II-C)

            2.  Act 34 Hearing - June 26 - (prior to Board meeting)

            3.  Hearing to close Lemont Elementary - July 24 - (prior to Board meeting)

 III.     Future Agenda Items
           
June 29 (Note date)
            High School Marquee / Sign
Process
           
Green Roof
           
Elementary LEED Discussion

IV.       Public Comment

V.         Adjournment


NOTES

June 16, 2017 Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Notes
11:30 a.m. -  Meeting Room C - Panorama Village Administrative Center     
240 Villa Crest Drive                                                                                         
State College, PA  16801

I.    Call to Order  
Ms. Fishbaine called the meeting of the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee to order at 11:33 a.m. and turned the meeting over to Mr. Poprik.

Committee Members
Present: Gretchen Barndt, Amber Concepcion, Penni Fishbaine, Scott Fozard,
Others: John Bedia, Randy Brown, Peter Buckley, Mary Jenn Dorman, Matt Harlow, Tim Jones, George Knoll, Jim Leous, Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Chris Rosenblum

A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

II.    Elementary Project Development
60% Cost Estimate
Mr. Poprik introduced Mr. George Knoll, Chief Estimator for Massaro, and noted he would begin with the cost estimate.  Mr. Poprik provided an overall summary noting the following:
          1)Projects went up modestly from 30% to 60%, 2) There are overall increases for both
          firms - CRA 6% over from 30 to 60 and MAS 19.11% over 30 to 60, 3) There was no
          square footage reduction at Corl Street but footage reduction was done at Radio Park and 
          Houserville, 4) Programs were not affected, 5) Hoping to hold fairly firm from 60% to 90% 
          and get to a point of feeling comfortable to bid the projects. 
Mr. Poprik explained that Act 34 number for the project is on the high side and this number 
deals with new construction only, not renovations.  There was concern about the size of the project combined being above what was budgeted and Mr. Noll provided an explanation that as they proceed to 90%, an effort will be made to sharpen things up.  Massaro is carrying an escalation and that will decrease closer to bid day, but contingency never totally goes away. 

Mr. Poprik spoke on a $300,000 to $500,000 change if we do not do the alternate bid for the added classrooms.  There would be a need to get trailers for the phasing process at Radio Park. Mr. Bedia noted they are beyond 60% with drawings and adjustments have been made. Committee members spoke on soft costs and would rather see the dollar amount instead of percentage and also requested a breakdown on soft costs with the specific categories.  Mr. Poprik noted that the FFE (Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment) was budgeted low at 30%.

Answers to Community Forum Questions
Mr. Poprik noted the elementary forum feedback included items that we have been discussing and considering with the design team.  One noted Corl Street follow up is the field that belongs to the Borough.  It is not contiguous with Corl Street but is across the street, so teachers would need to help students cross the street.  It is a good size field and is idle during the day.  Discussion is ongoing regarding this with Mr. LeClair and Mr. Fontaine.  Other topics discussed: LEED items that were mentioned, a garden being outside the scope of the project - once the project is finished; PTO/teachers usually do this; the library steps have been eliminated at Houserville; trailers will be needed at Corl Street and Radio Park but none for Houserville; and the Houserville project could possibly use space at Lemont.  Mr. Poprik will do a breakdown of the soft costs.

Playground Option 
Mr. Poprik spoke on the recommendation to use rubberized play surface and reviewed Bernel Road Park by the airport with slides, and noted there is no ground transition with this.  The disadvantage is cost, $18 to $20/sq.ft., and play area is approximately 10,000 sq.ft.  He reviewed the life span being about 10-years, then needing replaced or resurfaced which adds long-term cost to the initial cost.  There is the option to do the entire area or could choose to do partial areas that could help students with physical disabilities.  The CAC for Facilities and Grounds asked for this to be considered.   Committee members discussed in detail many pros and cons, how students are managing now, this not being helpful to use equipment but be closer to friends, and being thoughtful District-wide with schools not having this.  Currently, mulch is used and refreshed yearly for approximately $400 and ADA mulch which was mentioned but it is more expensive.  Administration will check with Special Education teachers for their input on this issue and discuss CAC for Facilities. It was noted this surface does get slippery when wet, and gets hot in the sun.  Mr. Poprik noted that when CAC discussed this, it was without the cost estimate.

Act 34 Hearing
Mr. Poprik reviewed the process for the Act 34 Hearings for each building to be held June 26, prior to the regular Board meeting.  Scott Etter will call to order, there will be a brief overview, anyone attending may comment, and all will be transcribed by a court reporter.

Hearing to Close Lemont Elementary
Mr. Poprik noted that the same process as described for the Act 34 Hearings will be used for the hearing to close Lemont Elementary School and will be held    July 24, prior to the regular Board meeting.

III.     Future Agenda Items
Mr. Poprik noted the next Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting will be June 29,
11:00 a.m., in Meeting Room C, Panorama Village.  At this point, the following items may
be on the agenda: High School Marquee / Sign Process, Green Roof, Elementary LEED discussion.

IV.    Public Comment
Dr. Buckland, professor at Penn State University, explained he taught a special class on sustainability and he and students looked at a case study and LEED process for Corl Street.
He met with Ms. Concepcion, Mr. Poprik, Mr. Bock, and spoke to multiple parents but did not talk with any teachers.  From conversations he had, and to meet LEED at Corl Street, they provided four recommendations for curriculum along with a fifth recommendation of an Americare person to look further to integrate sustainability features into curriculum.  He stressed that teachers need to be involved, buy-in and be interested.  He is planning to attend the 90% design review.  Committee Members thanked Dr. Buckland for attending and the good information he provided.  The committee will definitely view the design efforts progress toward LEED Gold status.

V.    Adjournment
Ms. Fishbaine ended the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting at 1:25 p.m.

Submitted by,

Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary