Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting Agenda/Notes 10-4-17

All attachments in pdf

Agenda

October 4, 2017 Board Facilities & Grounds Committee Meeting
11:30 p.m. -  Meeting Room A - Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801

I.          Call to Order

II.        High School (attachment II)
               Campus/Building Naming
              
Project Schedule   

III.       Elementary Schools
               Houserville Naming Processing
               Pending Stormwater agreements
(attachment III-B)
              
Alternates (attachment III-C)
              
Review Calendar

IV.        Miscellaneous Discussion  
               
Easterly Chiller                  

 V.         Future Agenda Items  
                Elementary Bid Review
               
High School Sign - Phil Hawk update

 VI.       Public Comment

VII.       Adjournment


NOTES

October 4, 2017 Board Facilities & Grounds Committee Meeting Notes                 
11:30 p.m. -  Meeting Room A - Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive                                                                                   
State College, PA  16801


I.      Call to Order
Ms. Fishbaine called the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee Meeting to order at 11:30 a.m. She announced they would switch the order for the High School items and the Project Schedule would be first. She turned the meeting over to Mr. Poprik.


Committee Members
Present: Gretchen Brandt, Amber Concepcion, Penni Fishbaine
Absent: Scott Fozard
Others:  Amy Bader, Vern Bock, Randy Brown, Mary Jenn Dorman, Dan Duffy, Tim Jones,
Jason Little, Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Will Stout, Laurel Zydney

A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

II.     High School
Project Schedule
Mr. Poprik reviewed they were 10 to 11 weeks out. Some areas they are comfortable with and some not. They had a meeting yesterday and spoke on a highly specific project, the schedule update, and still moving in for January. Mr. Jones added that the pressure heats up on all projects at this point in time. The team is on the same page, established contractual markers yesterday, and contractors are on board. There are penalties written into contracts if things are not complete to open on time. Mr. Poprik spoke briefly about a Plan B.


Campus/Building Name
Ms. Fishbaine reviewed the names that have been mentioned and thought a “North” category would be appropriate, rate and pick the top three. Asked if there should be a name on the building or not, and there needs to be a name for paperwork. Committee member suggested Delta Building, noting Delta is 5th - 12th grade, not a high school facility. Naming options are: North Building, State High North Building, North Annex, State High North Annex, North Campus, Westerly Complex, and Delta Building. Discussed a sign separate in front of the building, sign(s) on the building, and if there would be a problem from the Borough with having multiple signs. We could request a variance for the sign ordinance. After further discussion and suggestions, Ms. Fishbaine noted it was the Board’s responsibility to name the building. Decisions were made to take the following recommendations to the full board:
     •Name for paperwork - NORTH CAMPUS
     •Sign outside or in front of building - NORTH CAMPUS
     •Above the Door on  the building - NORTH ATHLETICS and DELTA
 A memo will be done for the Board to take Action at its meeting Monday, October 9, 2017.

 
III.    Elementary Schools
Houserville Naming Processing
Mr. Poprik noted the students voted and the name for the new school at Houserville site is
Spring Creek Elementary School. The parents and teachers were in agreement with this name.
Ms. Concepcion thought it would be good to send and email to Houserville parents/teachers to let them know this will be on the agenda for action at the October 9, 2017 Board meeting.


Pending Stormwater Agreements
Mr. Poprik reviewed the memo with two draft stormwater agreements, one for Corl Street and one for Radio Park. This was already done for Houserville, the new Spring Creek Elementary School. He reviewed that the Board agrees to install and maintain stormwater, and if we do not maintain, the Borough will do so and bill the District. This will also be an action item on the October 9, 2017 agenda.


Alternates
Mr. Poprik explained there are seven (7) Alternates that will be on the October 23 Board meeting agenda. There will be five contractors with 20 different bid openings. He read through and provided an explanation of each. The administration is taking care of the laminated safety glass - this will not be an alternate and Ms. Concepcion will notify the full Board.


Review Calendar
Mr. Poprik noted bids are scheduled to be opened on Tuesday, October 31. They will be reviewed with the Facilities and Grounds Committee at their November 1 meeting. He will have the raw data and each building will be bid individually and also together as a package. A week later, November 8, 2017, there will be Special Meeting to review the bids; bids will be awarded on Monday, November 13, 2017 at the Board’s Regular meeting. Ms. Fishbaine noted she will miss the November 8 Special Meeting. Mr. Poprik added there would be a preview meeting tomorrow and hoping to maintain the same schedule, holding October 31 date as long as possible, but there could be a week delay.


IV.     Miscellaneous Discussion                     
Mr. Poprik spoke on Easterly Parkway and no air conditioning. He explained the 16 year old chiller, issues with the control package, and the manufacturer discontinued the chiller and parts.
It will be $10,000 to get it working - a $60,000 unit or $100,000 for a new system. He should have the information he needs in a couple days to make a decision and he does have the money in his capital budget to make it happen.


Mr. Poprik spoke to the committee about Phil Hawk sign and the plinths. Committee members decided the plinths were off the table and not wanted. They discussed the metal lettering, the base with/without limestone, and would like the sign to blend and not be too busy. Mr. Poprik will provide direction to Mr. Hawk.

Dr. O’Donnell spoke on the current student parking situation that will be going down 100 spaces in January.  We are talking with Weis to lease us some spots (requesting 150, but 100 for sure) to at least remain status quo. There are 2312 students in grades 9 through 12, which does not include Delta students. Committee member spoke on parking spots with signs for coaches and

Dr. O’Donnell explained how this came about. He will look at the number and if only needed for only after school hours. Bags were put on them for over the summer due to the use of Welch Pool. It was noted that over by Welch Pool, the gray area - stones, will eventually be grass but right now, it is there to control the student walking back and forth across the street.


V.      Future Agenda Items
Elementary Bid Review
High School Sign - Phil Hawk update


VI.     Public Comment
There was no public comment.


VII.    Adjournment
Ms. Fishbaine ended the Board Facilities and Grounds Committee meeting at 1:18 p.m.


Submitted by,

 

Mary Jenn Dorman
Board secretary