- State College Area School District
An Introduction to System 44
System 44 Program Description
System 44 is a comprehensive reading program for the most challenged readers in grades 3-12. System 44 is research-based and emphasizes phonics instruction while incorporating comprehension and writing skills. The instructional model for System 44 includes a brief whole group warm up followed by rotations that incorporate small group instruction, instructional software, and modeled & independent reading. Components of the instructional software include:
- The Smart Zone sound challenge displays a list of sound-spellings and directs students to click the correct sound-spelling as quickly as possible as the sound is read aloud.
- The Word Zone asks students to sound words out, select a word from a list (timed), and transform words by adding and subtracting letters.
- The Spelling Zone presents students with a spelling check-up of up to 20 words that have been presented during the topic. Students hear the word in isolation and in context before typing it.
- The Progress Monitor portion of the software tests a student’s mastery of the content presented in each software topic.
- The Fluency Zone: Read & Think Comprehension displays familiar words in decodable sentences. Students read the sentence and listen to a question. Students then select the correct answer from three choices.