Speech/Language Support


All SCASD Speech Language Pathologists (SLP) have earned the 'Certificate of Clinical Competence' from the American Speech and Hearing Association and are licensed as Speech Language Pathologists in the state of Pennsylvania.  There are currently 9 specialists employed by SCASD. Each SLP screens, evaluates when appropriate, provides specialized instruction and collaborates with the teachers and parents of the students within their respective building assignments.

Frequently Asked Questions......

Who can I talk to, to inquire about Speech or Language Support?

Each classroom teacher is aware of the process in which a student can be referred for screening of communication skill development. In addition,you may also contact the building's Speech Language Pathologist through their email as listed above, the building principal or the Special Education Office at (814) 231-1072/4172.

How is a student identified for Speech/Language Support ?

The Speech Language Pathologist will conduct a screening of the student's voice quality, speech fluency, articulation (speech sound development), understanding and use of oral language; and social language skills. The SLP will then make a recommendation based on knowledge of typical speech/language development, special education regulations, and the individual student's skills.  Results are reported back to the original referral source. If the student appears to be in need of further evaluation measures, the SLP will discuss this option with the student's parent to obtain written permission before proceeding.

Where can I get copies of the regulations concerning Special Education?

A copy of the special education regulations and standards may be obtained by writing the Bureau of Special Education or by calling the main number (717) 783-6913.

What happens once my child has been identified as having a 'Speech or Language Impairment'?

The educational team (parents, classroom teacher, building principal and Speech Language Pathologist) will meet to discuss the evaluation results and come to a team consensus for a recommendation. When the team recommends that the student should receive Speech/Language support services, then an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), will be written to provide a program for the specialized educational needs of the student.

What is an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?

 An Individualized Education Program (IEP) is the written plan for the education of a student who has a disability. The IEP is based on the individual student's needs and describes the special help the student will receive in school.

How long will my child need to receive Speech/Language Support (SLS)?

Each student progresses at his own pace. Each student has individual needs. Lessons are designed to help the student progress toward accomplishing their goals. While IEPs are typically written for a calendar year, some students progress faster, some need more time.



Building Assignments Speech Language Pathologists
Easterly Parkway, Ferguson Township, Lemont
Jessica Clothiaux
High School
Catherine Connors-Kos
Corl Street, Houserville Karla Fabregas
Mount Nittany  Elementary, Lemont 
Pattie Guay
Gray's Woods, Park Forest Elementary
Dayna Hughes
DELTA, LLPSU, Park Forest Middle  Megan Kelly
Grays Woods, Park Forest Elementary,  Radio Park Meggan McGuire
Mount Nittany Elementary, Mount Nittany Middle Danielle McIntyre
District Wide, Assistive Technology, Augmentative and Alternative Communication Consultant Monica Gastiger

For additional Speech/Language Information:

Communication Development: Kindergarten through Fifth Grade

What should I expect my child's speech and language development to be during elementary school?  Use this guide! 


Difference Between Language and Speech


Language is made up of socially shared rules.  Speech is the verbal means of communicating.


Learning More Than One Language


Development of more than one language depends on the type and amount of input you receive in all languages. The process of learning a second language is NOT a language disorder.




Communication skills develop from infancy, before the emergence of the first word. Any speech or language problem is likely to have a significant effect on the child's social and academic skills and behavior. The earlier a child's speech and language problems are identified and treated, the less likely it is that problems will persist or get worse. Early speech and language intervention can help children be more successful with reading, writing, schoolwork, and interpersonal relationships.




Stuttering affects the fluency of speech. It begins during childhood and, in some cases, lasts throughout life. The disorder is characterized by disruptions in the production of speech sounds, also called "disfluencies." Most people produce brief disfluencies from time to time. For instance, some words are repeated and others are preceded by "um" or "uh." Disfluencies are not necessarily a problem; however, they can impede communication when a person produces too many of them.


Social Skills/Pragmatics


An individual may say words clearly and use long, complex sentences with correct grammar, but still have a communication problem - if he or she has not mastered the rules for social language known as pragmatics. Adults may also have difficulty with pragmatics, for example, as a result of a brain injury or stroke.




We have all experienced problems with our voices, times when the voice is hoarse or when sound will not come out at all! Colds, allergies, bronchitis, exposure to irritants such as ammonia, or cheering for your favorite sports team can result in a loss of voice. Learn more about different types of voice disorders.


Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)


Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) includes all forms of communication (other than oral speech) that are used to express thoughts, needs, wants, and ideas. We all use AAC when we make facial expressions or gestures, use symbols or pictures, or write.