Meeting Agenda/Notes January 15, 2019

January 15, 2019 Board Communications Committee Meeting

11:30 a.n. - Meeting Room A

Panorama Village Administrative Center

240 Villa Crest Drive




I.    Call to Order

II.   Memorial Field Community Update

III.  2017-18 Annual Report Update

IV.   Potential Advertising Outreach

V.    Public Comment  

Each individual will be limited to comments of five (5) minutes oas time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

VI. Future Agenda Items

VII.  Adjournment

January 15, 2019 Board Communications Committee Meeting Notes
11:30 a.m. -  Meeting Room A
                        Accepted Notes
Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801

I.    Call to Order
Mr. Leous called the Board Communications Committee meeting to order at 11:39 a.m.
He noted since all members of the committee were not present, the discussion for the chairperson will be at the next meeting.

Committee Members Present: Lori Bedell, Amber Concepcion, Jim Leous
Committee Member Absent: Laurel Zydney
Others Present: Amy Bader, Gretchen Brandt, Randy Brown, Mary Jenn Dorman, Dan Duffy, Nabil Mark, Tami Nowacki, Bob O’Donnell, Ed Poprik, Chris Rosenblum

A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

II.     Memorial Field Community Update
Dr. O’Donnell explained before the 5th of February, he wants awareness for the community that we are having an update. Will be asking Radio - WRSC, Jeff Byers and WPSU to do a questions and answer on Memorial Field, Mr. Poprik should attend for WRSC. Committee members discussed Community invites - all K-12 families, specific booster clubs, and some are already meeting and inviting athletic office folks. We can advertise in the CDT, ask Borough Members and staff to attend, invite Downtown District people, CBICC and all Boards in COG (College Township, Ferguson Township, Harris Township and Patton Township) along with the Borough.

Website/FAQ - Mr. Leous asked if there were any questions or feedback for administration on this. The following items were questioned and discussed, for clarification: Dollar amount for the budget, the basement of the Nittany Ave. building, questions to be in categories and some reordered, make phasing clear, and Memorial Field being tied to High School since it remains in the same location. The outcomes from this discussion were:

  • The budget number out there is construction and soft costs and it is very popular to talk about estimates in the public sector. There will be four contractors, and the award will go to the low bidder.
  • The basement has a bid set up as an alternate bid for finishing the space, can be a shell and still useful for storage if not finished.
  • There were good suggestions and comments about putting the FAQs in categories and reordering them into the groups. (Amenities, Finance, Future of Nittany Ave and Fairmount Ave together, etc.)

Presentation - Mr. Poprik reviewed the PowerPoint presentation to be used for the February 5 Community Update. He spoke on the timeline and the Board waiting for bids. Went through the planning process and noted Plan B is a bid alternate. Mr. Brown provided the details for Plan B, it was suggested the wording change to Safety of Students, showed parking capacity, discussed sinkhole repair and being stabilized, and showed slides with views of the proposed completed project. It was suggested some of the slides could be put on large boards for discussion. Mr. Poprik spoke on this being a Historical Site and Mr. Mark added what was on the slide is slightly different than the plaque. Dr. O’Donnell reported there is no sign for Memorial Field and looking to have students be at the Community Update to get input for sign and memorial that can be designed and constructed. There is not a list of alumni on site. The students will be at tables during the event so people can talk with them. Committee member discussed the importance of using the proper language for the memorial, various sports pictures would be appropriate for the presentation, and Dr. O’Donnell thanked all for the feedback.

III.    2017-2018 Annual Report Update
Draft copy
- Mr. Mark noted that pages 6, 7 and 18 were incomplete and this is the first draft the District has had front to back. He explained on page 7, open space, will have SAT and AP scores to fill that space; Finance, page 18, will have a chart and other information there. Ms. Concepcion asked if they still needed a letter from her and Mr. Rosenblum noted the Board page is complete and it was made to be more of a content page. It was noted that the light gray in the bar graph on page 7 was not enough of contrast to stand out, some shading might help. Mr. Leous had the opportunity to review the report and other committee members reviewed briefly and offered suggestions and corrections, better delineation between topics for less confusion, headings, and minor additions. Mr. Mark noted this was 90% complete and once it is complete, the committee members can go through again. All thanked Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Mark for the great job in gathering all the information and putting this together. Dr. O’Donnell added this will be a good document to use with great data. He thanked the committee for their input.

IV.    Potential Advertising Outreach
Mr. Brown received a quote from Comcast to get the word out for kindergarten registration. There will be a banner at the airport, will use Social Media to get the word out there, and can do a digital meeting campaign.

V.      Public Comment  - Ms. Nowacki spoke on the memorial at Memorial Field and reaching out to families of the fallen; Section on page 12 in the Draft Annual Report provided; and getting information out about Kindergarten Camp with signs in front of schools.

VI.     Future Agenda Items
Ms. Zydney had provided a list of items for future agenda planning and Ms. Bedell shared what they were, spoke on things to be communicating about - High School student pick-up by parents and congestion, Policy changes-Title IX, Inclusive Excellence for plan next 3-5 years, and communicate more broadly the book club efforts.   

VII.    Adjournment
Mr. Leous adjourned the Board Communications Committee meeting at 1:00 p.m.

Submitted by,

Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary