Meeting Agenda/Notes March 19, 2019


All attachments in pdf


March 19, 2019 Board Communications Committee Meeting
11:30 a.m. -  Meeting Room A
Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA  16801

I.    Call to Order

II.   Memorial Field Update
          Community Understanding
          Alternate Plans for 2019-2010 School Year

  High School and Elementary Projects Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies
          Advertising Events Dates / Process / Invites / etc.

IV.   Strategic Plan Surveys 
          Teacher Survey
          Elementary Student
          Secondary Student (attachment)

V.    Annual Report Distribution Update

VI.   Public Comment  
Each individual will be limited to comments of three (3) minutes as  time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

Future Agenda Items
          Student Recognition and Communication


March 19, 2019 Board Communications Committee Meeting
11:30 a.m. - Meeting Room A                                                                   Accepted Notes
Panorama Village Administrative Center
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801


I.     Call to Order
Ms. Concepcion called the Board Communications Committee meeting to order at 11:36 a.m. and noted this committee needed to elect a chair, since all members were not present at the previous meeting. Ms. Bedell moved and Ms. Concepcion seconded to nominate Mr. Leous. There was no discussion. With the motion moved and seconded, members voted aye with a voice vote. Mr. Leous will remain chair of the Communications Committee.

Committee Members Present: Lori Bedell, Amber Concepcion, Jim Leous, Laurel Zydney
Others Present: Amy Bader, Randy Brown, Mary Jenn Dorman, Nabil Mark, Tami Nowacki, Bob O’Donnell (arrived 12:07 p.m.), Chris Rosenblum

A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

II.     High School and Elementary Projects Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies
Mr. Leous noted they would begin with #3 - High School and Elementary Projects Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies. Mr. Rosenblum recognized these are needed, option for the High School could be a more formal ceremony and have student involvement. Elementary could take place at the end of the day - 4:00 to 5:30 or 6:00 p.m., parents could attend and students could go home with their parent(s). Mr. Mark noted there are three elementary schools and Delta. The High School could be on weekend and offer a tour. Ms. Concepcion has heard from many people who want to go see the building so elementary should be 6:30 p.m. with ribbon cutting at 7:00 p.m. and have student involvement. Mr. Brown noted that Mr. Bock is talking with elementary principals for input and suggested we work through the High School first. Mr. Rosenblum listed who would be involved from the High School, could have an array of performances and/or demonstrations (art / music), ribbon cutting at front main entrance and go into auditorium for speakers. Discussed: there being two main entrances but the front being the grand main entrance, no real space in the back, speakers inside and then end with ribbon cutting, times for this to occur, the earliest date being October 1 rather than end of summer, High School and Delta ceremony same day or separately, could do Homecoming weekend (October 11), more will be set and completed at a later date than beginning of new school year, the Program, PA System for outside (outside being preferred than inside), speakers, student involvement, having the plan finalized going into summer, and specific points to be included in the High School building tour. There needs to be a committee with Board representation, teachers, and students willing to coordinate. Should talk to the Educational Foundation Board, Alumni Association and PTSO President. We can look to pull back student leaders to help also. Next step is to circle back at the committee meeting in May to discuss anything (overarching) in place, work out details, methods of social media, advertising, and invitations that should begin over the summer. It was noted the vision appeal would be outside, front entrance…. very impressive if weather permitting. For the Elementary Ceremonies, we will wait to hear the input Mr. Bock gets from the elementary principals, ask them to speak with faculty and PTSOs, and it would be helpful if each school had a planning team. Mr. Bock will speak with them, draft an idea for them to work through, include student involvement and best time for ceremony and open house. All three Ground Breaking Ceremonies were to take place on the same day, Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be different and difficult to do that way.

III.     Memorial Field Update
Community Understanding and Alternate Plans for 2019-2010 School Year - Dr. O’Donnell noted they are moving forward with the short schedule recommendation and what will happen now. They will be walking the North Field, a better solution has been suggested with putting bleachers off both end lines. This would reduce the site work and need to understand how this would work. This is not an enclosed stadium, we already have an idea of the number of students that run around at the games and they would be along Westerly Parkway. We will take at look at the South Track, could have portable bleachers on the field, a fence is in place all around and could have a ticket process. Not sure how we would handle ticket process at North. There would need to be a lot of communication around either one of these possibilities. Fall events on one field could be more doable and need to take a look at options, be open with people since this impacts most. The playing surface could be ok, sidelines and all the other things going on are still questionable. At Memorial Field, finally got all kids in the bleachers - Junior, Sophomore and Freshman Senates - would talk with them about where we are and what they would like. Helpful for Board to hear student feedback and understanding we are trying to do what is best for District as a whole and their child/children's experience. Committee members noted: glad all away games are off the table; whatever meetings need scheduled Board members will participate; working with Borough and code with this also; need to be careful how things are stated; North Field cannot be fenced in, location too tight; and Mr. Brown will contact internal people and Ms. Concepcion will contact Borough and outside people.

IV.     Strategic Plan Surveys
Dr. O’Donnell noted Dr. Fuller provided iterations of the Teacher Survey, Elementary Student, and Secondary Student surveys and they did a significant paring down. The elementary is 16-17 questions, secondary is 26 questions and teacher survey is 30 questions. They will be getting feedback from principals tomorrow at the A-Team meeting, it can be pared down more, and noted if there should/should not be questions included. There was not overwhelming responses form LGBTQ students, trying to be supportive of all and doing our best to understanding bullying, there are significant differences and can let parents know we ask demographic questions. Mr. Bock noted we can glean and tease out for measures in Strategic Plan and subgroups. All are anonymous and it is stated. Discussed sending an email out that surveys will be coming; layout is more user friendly; note the approximate time it will take; and this will be online. The survey went out late last year, there is a two-week window, will stay away from the two-week PSSA, secondary students had a low response, the problem was the length and can only be completed once, we will be doing a parent survey but it is not ready yet. It was suggested a cover letter go to parents for the student one for understanding how we do use these. These questions help us understand different things in our schools, make decisions, and identify specific focus groups.

V.      Annual Report Distribution Update
Mr. Rosenblum noted the Realtors that received 50 copies of the District Annual Report; they can link to PSU Graduate Association once they have an electronic version; international faculty and students have physical copies, and copies will be mailed to PSU Global Program Office. Other suggested locations: Library, Visitor Center, CBICC, Pediatrician’s Office, Dental Offices, and Penn State Family Medicine. There is not a trifold version of the Annual Report but they do have a High School and Elementary one. Suggestions and ideas shared that could be tried for every family to have one, electronically or hard copy and all are welcome to email Mr. Mark and Mr. Rosenblum with any suggestions. Also spoke on a smaller version.

VI.      Public Comment
The following audience members addressed the committee:
--Tami Nowacki spoke on the questions from the surveys and would rather see a percentage; referenced questions regarding LGBTQ Ally and does not belong in there; had an idea for High School and Elementary school tours - have a treasure hunt, have them look more, be focused, and highlight what we would like them to see and at the end there could be a give away; and the Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies for elementary should be no later than 6:00 p.m.

VII.      Future Agenda Items
Student Recognition and Communication
Add: Ribbon Cutting Ceremony - Discuss volunteers from this committee
Results from Communications Audit - It was noted the process has not begun
Mr. Mark reminded all about the advertisements out there on Google and Facebook. See SCASD out there, and remember, we only pay for the clicks. Google and Facebook advertising is not expensive and a good way to reach people that are new.

VIII.     Adjournment
Mr. Leous adjourned the Board Communications Committee meeting at 1:24 p.m.


Submitted by,

Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary