Meeting Agenda/Notes September 17, 2019

September 17, 2019 Board Communications Committee Meeting
11:30 a.m. - Meeting Room A
Panorama Village Administrative Center 240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801


  1. Call to Order

  2. School Grand Openings/Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies Update
    1. Elementary (attachment)
    2. Delta/High School (attachment)

  3. Spring Public Issues Forum (time permitting)

  4. Public Comment
    Each individual will be limited to comments of three (3) minutes as time permits for items on this agenda or related to Board business.

  5. Future Agenda Items

  6. Adjournment

September 17, 2019 Board Communications Committee Meeting Notes
11:30 a.m. - Meeting Room A
Panorama Village Administrative Center 240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801


  1. Call to Order
    Mr. Leous called the called the Board Communications Committee meeting to order at 11:34 a.m.

    Committee Members Present: Lori Bedell, Amber Concepcion, Jim Leous, Laurel Zydney
    Committee Members Absent:
    Others Present: Randy Brown, David Hutchinson (via phone), Nabil Mark, Bob O’Donnell, Chris Rosenblum, Lynn Tressler
    Guest: Tami Nowacki

    A copy of all materials distributed to board members for discussion is included with the official notes, unless otherwise indicated.

  2. Spring Public Issues Forum
    Mr. David Hutchinson joined the meeting via phone to discuss holding a Public Issues Forum on climate change during spring 2020. The goal is to coordinate the Forum with Climate Action Day on Thursday, April 8, 2020. Ms. Amber Concepcion and Mr. Hutchinson have been coordinating details with Dr. Peter Buckland, who manages academic programming for Penn State’s Sustainability Institute. He suggested holding the forum outside of State College to get attendance from the surrounding community. The Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology and Penns Valley High School were discussed as possible locations. Mr. Hutchinson’s personal preference is to hold the forum at CPI to make it front and center and then hold additional forums throughout the county. Dr. Buckland has made connections with universities across the state who are also interested. He asked if SCASD would be willing to be a co-sponsor, which would entail providing the district logo on marketing materials. Dr. O’Donnell noted that if we were to sponsor it outside of the district, the less our community would engage. If we decide to have a local version of this forum, we can use SCASD facilities to do so. Discussion surrounded the agenda format and what technology might be available to reach a broader audience. Mr. Chris Rosenblum advised that the Centre Daily Times has committed to running the op-eds.

  3. School Grand Openings/Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies Update 
    Dr. O’Donnell, Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Mark provided an overview of the schedule of events for the three elementary programs.
    Spring Creek - September 25
    Radio Park - October 15
    Corl Street - October 24

    Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Mark have been working with the school administrators and each Building Administration Team to coordinate details for the elementary and high school festivities. There will be two events at each elementary school that will mimic each other in terms of flow and content. The schedule will also include a photo op in front of each building along with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The events will be recorded and posted on the elementary school sites. Mr. Mark commissioned the students in the 5th grade and high school art classes to draw an illustration of their building. Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Mark will select the one they feel is the best depiction for the cover of each program.

    Discussion shifted to the High School Grand Opening. The official ribbon cutting will take place on Saturday, October 12 at 8:00 a.m. on the Delta side and move to the High School. The program will take place in the High School auditorium from 9-10:00 a.m. with self-guided tours following from 10:00 a.m.- 12:00 noon. Board members, staff and students groups will be stationed throughout the building to assist with questions and moving guests through. The main office will be staffed and district personnel will be equipped with walkie talkies. The district will be live streaming the high school program through its YouTube channel. The recording will be offered to C-Net for later viewing for those who are unable to attend. Dr. O’Donnell suggested having a contingency plan to stream the program throughout the building in case we have a large turnout. Door management was discussed at both Delta and High School events. Keys will be placed in the high school elevator for ease of access for those with mobility issues. Discussion surrounded names that would appear on the plaques at each of the schools. A press release will be sent to the local media outlining the details of all events.

  4. Public Comment
    Tami Nowacki, Houserville resident, addressed the committee with the following items:
    • Inquired about having a translator attend the upcoming High School Grand Opening for the hearing impaired or those who do not speak English.
    • Asked administration to consider giving teachers an incentive to participate in the High School festivities on October 12.
    • Expressed concern regarding the lack of parking at Spring Creek Elementary. She also noted there are 4-5 spaces reserved for hybrid vehicles that do not get utilized. It was confirmed that the reserved spaces are part of the Leed Certified rules.
    • Noted that Spring Creek Elementary is extremely warm. Dr. O’Donnell directed her to speak with Todd Deshong, principal of the school.

  5. Future Agenda Items

  6. Adjournment
    Mr. Leous adjourned the Communications Committee meeting at 12:45 p.m.

Submitted by,

Lynn Tressler
Board Secretary