Meeting Agenda/Notes - January 19, 2017


January 19, 2017 Communications Committee Meeting Agenda

Panorama Village Administrative Center - Meeting Room A           

240 Villa Crest Drive

State College, PA  16801

I.          CALL TO ORDER







January 19, 2017 Communications Committee Meeting Notes 
Panorama Village Administrative Center
Meeting Room C - 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.
240 Villa Crest Drive
State College, PA 16801

I.         CALL TO ORDER
Mr. Leous called the Board Communications Committee Meeting to order at 12:12 p.m. and he apologized for being a little late today.

Committee Members:
Amber Concepcion, Penni Fishbaine, Jim Leous, Laurel Zydney
Others: Randy Brown, Mary Jenn Dorman, Nabil Mark, Mary Kay Montovino, Bob O’Donnell, Chris Rosenblum

Mr. Leous noted the committee would start with Facilities - the elementary projects, Memorial Field, and the High School that is ongoing and people do need updates.

Elementary Projects
It was reported the Radio Park Forum went well. The format went well, many teachers attended, at the end of the presentation broke into small groups, spoke on learning spaces and the balance of space in classrooms. Mr. Brown did note they are documenting the comments to be given to the Board, will provide once the forums are finished, and committee member noted it is nice for people to see their comments were captured.

Dr. O’Donnell reported there were about 60 parents at the Social Media Straight Talk that occurred the same night as the Radio Park forum, and the Straight Talk held last week with police had close to 100 people that attended.

Memorial Field
Committee members spoke regarding communications and there were key points to clarify. One is, why are we leaving it there and the other is, why are we not moving it to the edge of town? Discussed Option A versus Option B and cost, the decisions that are already made, staying at Memorial Field is less costly, the Options presented for Memorial Field were not equal in features, and tell the benefits with what we chose emphasizing sight-line, flexibility and safety. Share the phasing aspect on what was done, this phasing is around locker rooms (none are currently available in Fairmount Ave. nor Nittany Ave. buildings), and what has been spent and what is being projected to spend. All different sports play on this field, and the community needs educated on the uses year round.

It was decided that a one-page flyer on Memorial Field should be posted on social media; people need to know the flooding has been controlled and the field drains much quicker; and the decision has been made to stay there. Mr. Rosenblum and Mr. Mark will work on the flyer to be shared for comments prior to posting. Ms. Concepcion would like to write an Op-Ed on Memorial Field also.

High School
Mr. Leous questioned if they needed to address anything with the High School? People signed up for updates and e-news. The video tour with Tim Jones worked well and Mr. Mark noted there has been forward progress since the last video and another video could be done next month. The first video was up for about a month and there was a link on the home page. Committee member made the following suggestions:

  • ●  Should put the design of Memorial Field on the Athletics page and it was noted this was on and up to date on “Our District” - Facilities page
    ●  The schools (CS, HO, and RP) should have the new design on their Elementary School Page for parents to see

Annual Report Outline
Dr. O’Donnell noted that Mr. Rosenblum would review the Annual Report outline and since Mr. Mark arrived, we have exciting and new growth in social media. Mr. Rosenblum reviewed the handout provided and noted it was a rough draft for talking points. Discussion occurred with suggestions made and the outcome was:

●  In addition to athletics, should mention student activities and clubs
●  Include Elementary intramurals and the Middle School teams
●  The District did introduce a new Language Arts (curriculum) - worth including
●  Have a separate page for Arts and Music
●  We will look at Strategic Plan language; we are committed to excellence.

Mr. Rosenblum explained that next week, the Print Shop could work on different sections, the report is coming together well at this stage, and by early next month he should have a draft copy for circulation to the Board.

Website and Social Media Update
Mr. Mark noted four different sections - parents, teachers, staff and public. They are getting information out in a precise and clear manner. He spoke on the new App with the work starting in August, had focus groups, did a survey, and beta testers and all the work ahead of time really paid off. The App was launched in January and they are receiving positive feedback and there is something there for everyone. He provided a demonstration, encourages people to use it, and is making sure it is user friendly. The App is free and currently, notifications is most popular. Mr. Rosenblum recognized Mr. Mark for all the work he has done on this, especially building all the features. Another local District has the same product but does not have all the features we do.

Mr. Leous noted if anyone had any suggestions for attachment III-A, they could send to Mr. Rosenblum and copy to Amber.

Ms. Concepcion spoke on doing more reaching out to the PTO Groups to help parents understand what the Board role is and help them see the bigger picture along with what is going on in their own school. She would like to revisit having a Board Liaison for each school and it was suggested to begin in the spring instead of the fall.

Ms. Concepcion noted that Ms. Zydney has created a “welcome” sheet with the Policy on the back for people attending a Board meeting. It would also be nice to send a “Thank You for

Coming” to people and encouraged we get them to sign in and provide an email address. The “Welcome, Please Sign In, Public Comment, and Policy,” can also be placed on the screen for when people walk in. It was noted that a one-page handout could work best.

There was no public comment.

Mr. Leous noted that Mr. Johnson sent something out about a potential walk-out. Dr. O’Donnell spoke on the situation: No one will leave campus, students will meet at the flagpole, it is about hope and peace and will be a peaceful demonstration. He added there would be consequences for skipping class or going off the property.

Committee members discussed K-12, a two way communication software and technical need that could be used for regular surveys; athletics and ways to encourage parents to be more respectful of coaches along with the Guidelines to the Athletic Policy needing to be completed, which would help.

The outcome of meeting discussions: Ms. Concepcion will look into Board Liaison, Ms. Zydney would relook at K-12 and bring back information at the next meeting, and Dr. O’Donnell and Mr. Rosenblum would look at the Statement of Purpose for the 2015-2016 Annual Report.

Mr. Leous adjourned the Board Communications Committee meeting at 2:00 p.m.

Submitted by,

Mary Jenn Dorman
Board Secretary